ARAB SPRING IS FAR FROM PRETTY
There is a level of absurdity in current complaints that the failure to significantly amend the old constitution, the one used under Mubarak, will benefit the Muslim Brotherhood and entrench Shariah law. Jonathan Tobin is not alone to worry that The Arab Spring Has Gone Straight to Winter
Why complain now and not when the constitution passed?
Because constitutions matter little in autocracies. Now, the assumption it that it will start to make a difference.
Unfortunately, it has always mattered. It was there to be used and abused.
Does that mean all's lost?
John Riady argues not. The Egyptians may just follow the Indonesian model:
The way to contain the challenge is to replicate what has worked in Indonesia: the organization of credible elections, held under a Constitution that guarantees the secular character of the state and the tangible improvement of governance.
To be honest, I rest my meager hopes on the possibility of a second elections. Ultimately, democracy works because you can throw the rascals out. Democracy works because the rascals do not have to worry that being thrown out implies death, imprisonment or poverty. Indeed, it provide the rascal with hope of returning to power.
In other words, I am conflicted. Arab autocrats and traditional elites are horrid. Their successor may turn out to be better or worse. Unfortunately, if not unexpectedly, Obama does not appear to be up to the task which decreases the chances of it all turning out for the better.
But, what the heck, I hope Libyan do succeed getting rid of Qaddafi and Syrians rid of Assad fils.
comments powered by Disqus
- Snopes debunks slavery Internet meme
- Revamped Chinese History Journal Welcomes Hard-Line Writers
- Poll: 3 Out of 5 Texan Trump Supporters Want Secession if Hillary Clinton Is Elected
- The Psychiatric Question: Is It Fair to Analyze Donald Trump From Afar?
- Minorities still feel Eugene, Oregon’s historical link to the Ku Klux Klan
- Ernst Nolte, Historian Whose Views on Hitler Caused an Uproar, Dies at 93
- Japan should give formal apology for wartime aggression, says historian
- Historian Benjamin Madley says what whites did to Indians in the 19th century in California was genocide.
- Kevin Baker says America needs to bring back political machines
- Covell Meyskens uses his blog to show what life was like under Mao. (Interview)