Zora and Spike on "that Greek Slut"
Spike Lee has reminded us of his longtime, and all too predictable, belief that Cleopatra was black on the occasion of Liz Taylor's funeral. This instantly brought to mind Zora Neale Hurston's pithy retort to similar claims by W.E.B. DuBois:"I resent his putting that Greek slut, Cleopatra, into the same race as me."
comments powered by Disqus
Aeon J. Skoble - 3/26/2011
- Rare silent Native American movie of 1920s attracting a lot of interest
- It happened in Idaho and was the largest massacre of Indians in US history, but where exactly did it take place?
- Junípero Serra’s Missions Destroyed Entire Native Cultures. And Now He’s Going to Be a Saint.
- Isis destruction of Palmyra's Temple of Bel revealed in satellite images
- McKinley's lost his mountain. Should we still remember his presidency?
- Japanese historian upends the familiar narrative of WW 2 by taking a bottom up approach, focusing on fascism from the grassroots
- Holocaust-denying historian David Irving organises 'disgusting' £2,000-a-head holiday tours of former concentration camps and Hitler's HQ so people can 'make up their own mind about the truth'
- 72 history professors sign letter urging removal of Jefferson Davis statue from Kentucky Capitol
- 10 Years After Katrina, the Enduring Value of the Hurricane Digital Memory Bank
- Historian author Antony Beevor says his new World War 2 book may anger Americans