Zora and Spike on "that Greek Slut"
Spike Lee has reminded us of his longtime, and all too predictable, belief that Cleopatra was black on the occasion of Liz Taylor's funeral. This instantly brought to mind Zora Neale Hurston's pithy retort to similar claims by W.E.B. DuBois:"I resent his putting that Greek slut, Cleopatra, into the same race as me."
comments powered by Disqus
Aeon J. Skoble - 3/26/2011
- Coming Soon, a Century Late: A Black Film Gem
- The discovery that complicated the history of sex change operations
- NYT identifies the person who exposed Gary Hart's philandering
- Decades After Trinity Nuclear Test in New Mexico, U.S. Studies Cancer Fallout
- Lawrence Of Arabia's Hand-Drawn, WWI Map Is Up for Auction
- Ken Burns and the Myth of Theodore Roosevelt
- What Ken Burns Doesn't Understand about the Roosevelts
- A call for historians to do macro history
- Professor premieres animated short on Pueblo revolt on PBS