Zora and Spike on "that Greek Slut"
Spike Lee has reminded us of his longtime, and all too predictable, belief that Cleopatra was black on the occasion of Liz Taylor's funeral. This instantly brought to mind Zora Neale Hurston's pithy retort to similar claims by W.E.B. DuBois:"I resent his putting that Greek slut, Cleopatra, into the same race as me."
comments powered by Disqus
Aeon J. Skoble - 3/26/2011
- Egyptian ‘Mona Lisa’ A Fake
- The Story Behind ‘Woman in Gold’: Nazi Art Thieves and One Painting’s Return
- Scott Walker, Allergic to Dogs, May Run Against Political History
- Russian History Receives a Makeover That Starts With Ivan the Terrible
- Parsing Ronald Reagan’s Words for Early Signs of Alzheimer’s
- Joan Waugh on Grant's and Lee's 'gentlemen's agreement' ending the Civil War
- Charlatan or Sage? Contested Legacy of the late Dr. Ben, a Father of African Studies
- Historians make it easy for visitors to DC to understand the history of the Mall
- History's Grandin Wins Bancroft Prize for "The Empire of Necessity"
- Nobel prize-winning scientist writes a history of science