Zora and Spike on "that Greek Slut"
Spike Lee has reminded us of his longtime, and all too predictable, belief that Cleopatra was black on the occasion of Liz Taylor's funeral. This instantly brought to mind Zora Neale Hurston's pithy retort to similar claims by W.E.B. DuBois:"I resent his putting that Greek slut, Cleopatra, into the same race as me."
comments powered by Disqus
Aeon J. Skoble - 3/26/2011
- Did a historian who said he’s a victim of McCarthyism get the story wrong?
- Stephanie Coontz’s work on the history of marriage cited by the Supreme Court.
- How Does It Feel To Have One’s Work as a Historian Cited by the Supreme Court? Cool. Very Cool. Thank You Very Much.
- NYT History Book Reviews: Who Got Noticed this Week?
- David Hackett Fischer wins $100,000 prize for lifetime achievement in military writing