RATE HIKE FOLLOWS FAILED BOND SALE
Just as Obama delayed sending troops as long as he could so did Bernanke. Taliban progress forced Obama's hand; A bad bond sale forced Bernanke's hand. Why else would he raise rates when we are teetering on the edge of deflation and the price of dollar is rising in relation to the Euro? Last month Core Consumer Prices Fell for First Time Since 1982 as "prices fell for hotel rooms, home ownership costs, new cars, airfares and clothing" and given the current slack in the economy, are expected to continue to do so.
That is the reason, Bernanke's tightening is"surprising" to those who do not take into consideration the recent global response to the bond offering. It is clear that the Chinese took one look at Obama's irresponsible budget and not only stopped buying dollars, they began selling them and scared the markets. With his"surprise" rate hike, Bernanke hopes to convince the Chinese, Arabs and the like that he can be trusted not to inflate the dollar to solve the country's souring debt problem. The next bond sale will tell if the move worked.
In the meantime. Sang Moon is right to note that:
If core prices exclude food and energy, doesn't that mean that core prices are effectively mostly non-essential goods? This means that inflation is increasing for essential goods which is sucking money and demand from non-essential goods which would result in lowering core prices. This means inflation is indeed increasing for the things that matter to most people.
Of course, no demand means no growth and no jobs. Not that economists get it. They continue to be surprised: US new jobless claims post surprise jump. Even worse, the president who was supposed to focus like a laser on jobs, refuses to give up on his job destroying efforts to pass an expensive health care plan.
comments powered by Disqus
- ‘No Vacancies’ for Blacks: How Donald Trump Got His Start, and Was First Accused of Bias
- New Yorker profiles activist who's drawing attention to lynchings
- Wisconsin GOP senator wants to replace history professors with Ken Burns videos
- UT removes Confederate inscription that it previously said would stay
- The man behind the Smithsonian’s new African-American history museum
- Some Ohio University professors ditch the textbooks, and the prices
- Renowned Israeli Holocaust Historian: ‘If I Were a British Jew, I’d Be Worried’
- Heather Ann Thompson pries loose the long-kept secrets of Attica in her new book
- Lonnie Bunch remembers his first day on the job as director of the new black history museum
- Speaker Ryan loves pseudo-historian David Barton