Teaching What Really Happened: How To Avoid the Tyranny of Textbooks and Get Students Excited About Doing History By James Loewen
comments powered by Disqus
vaughn davis bornet - 12/4/2009
Briefly just now. Is all this about secondary school textbooks?
I will withhold any comment until I know whether major college/university texts are what these remarks and the book are addressing.
Appreciated the author's comments in the past, by the way.
Vaughn Davis Bornet Ashland, Oregon
Jonathan Dresner - 12/3/2009
I'll have to take a look at it. I've used Wineburg's Historical Thinking in Historiography before -- most of my students were planning to go on to teach, and the same is true of my students now -- and it really gets people talking. It brings up all the old traumas of badly taught history classes, which we all vow never to inflict on our own students....
James W Loewen - 12/3/2009
What I (the author) would like to see here, your patience permitting, will be comments from those of you who have already read "Teaching What Really Happened," and/or who may plan to use it in teacher ed. courses, or to plan better ways to teach K-12 U.S. History. Negative reviews too, if courteous and useful. I'm always tryin' to learn....
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Transcribed Document: Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity