A COWARD CALLED NICHOLAS KRISTOF/update
But, perhaps, I am being too harsh. Perhaps, Kristof honestly believes that Islam has nothing to do with current religious wars or that Islam, unlike its fellow monotheistic religions, had no need to grow as it and Koran were perfect to start with.
Alternatively, he knows that neither Jews nor Christians are likely to lead demonstrations against him or to threaten his and his family's life.
As you can tell from the title, I believe the latter.
Solomonia accuses me of being a bit unfair to Kristof since he writes about internal religious wars not external ones and Islam, he argues, is not in the middle of one of those.
I happen to disagree. There is Sunni, Shia, Sufi and Ahmadi to mention just the very obvious disagreements. Indeed, in Pakistan Shia and Sunni are blowing each other's mosques every so often. This in addition to other less obvious disagreements. Unfortunately, cowardice prevents a serious public discussions of these sometime deadly rivalries. Hence, the oh so mistaken impression that there are no internal religious wars in Islam.
comments powered by Disqus
Mike R Bav - 1/14/2011
DW: Agreed. You get it. Mr. Kristof has a deeply warped and distorted sense of reality. Perhaps he should consider converting to Islam, so that he can continue to spew his ridiculous, at times anti-Semitic, rhetoric and defend the Religion of (Rest in) Peace.
I cannot stand his articles about politics. Nicholas Kristof is a moron and a fraud. Period.
Donald Wolberg - 11/30/2009
Ms. Klinghofer's comments are very much on target. Mr. Kristof is of course entitled to write whatever he chooses and to avoid potential "discomfort" as sees fit. However, if he is serious about his remarks, he should confront the silliness and combativeness of all religions so afflicted. Certainly Islamic beliefs and belief struture appears to be more "adaptable" to accepting the horrid violence carried out with the "authority" of edicts from Islamic leaders. But then, perhaps Mr. Kristof is not really interested in the world as it is.
- Tales of African-American History Found in DNA
- History Celebrates New Show Roots With Project to Digitize Post-Slavery Documents
- In 1453, this Ottoman sultan ended Christian rule in Constantinople. But was he a good Muslim?
- Abraham Lincoln's Emancipation Proclamation among documents sold for $6.2m in New York
- Family shines light on American POW killed by Hiroshima blast
- History Relevance Campaign meets at the Smithsonian
- Bernard Lewis Turns 100
- Jean Edward Smith, biographer of FDR and Ike, has a new biography coming out … of George W. Bush
- Flora Fraser, biographer of George and Martha Washington, wins $50,000 George Washington Prize