SYRIAN KURDS ON THE MOVE
"Syrian Kurds seized Saddam Hussein's half-brother in northeast Syria and handed him to Iraqi Kurds before he was taken into custody by Iraq's security forces, government sources in Baghdad say.
Sabawi Ibrahim, a former spy chief and senior adviser to Saddam, was captured in the Syrian town of Hasakah, about 50 km (30 miles) from the Iraqi border, the sources said on Monday."
It is true that as Reuter's claim the Kurds would not have dared had him over without the knowledge of the Syrian authorities but I suspect they let their fellow Kurds know that they have him, so that strong pressure could be applied on Syria to turn him over.
Remember - Syrian Kurds go on a hunger strike?
Let's remember only democracies protect minority rights. So, it is in the interest of the Kurds to see Syria democratizing.
comments powered by Disqus
- Historian James Harris says Russian archives show we’ve misunderstood Stalin
- The Invisible Labor of Women’s Studies
- Lincoln University historian mourns decision to abolish the history major
- Hamilton College conservative historian questions diversity requirement
- Historians on Donald Trump: A Huge Hit on Facebook