SYRIAN KURDS ON THE MOVE
"Syrian Kurds seized Saddam Hussein's half-brother in northeast Syria and handed him to Iraqi Kurds before he was taken into custody by Iraq's security forces, government sources in Baghdad say.
Sabawi Ibrahim, a former spy chief and senior adviser to Saddam, was captured in the Syrian town of Hasakah, about 50 km (30 miles) from the Iraqi border, the sources said on Monday."
It is true that as Reuter's claim the Kurds would not have dared had him over without the knowledge of the Syrian authorities but I suspect they let their fellow Kurds know that they have him, so that strong pressure could be applied on Syria to turn him over.
Remember - Syrian Kurds go on a hunger strike?
Let's remember only democracies protect minority rights. So, it is in the interest of the Kurds to see Syria democratizing.
comments powered by Disqus
- This Man Spent 25 Years Documenting Every Day of Hitler's Life
- Anti-Gay, Pro-Creationism Birther Won’t Be Deciding What Textbooks Your Kids Read
- What About Us, Nagasaki Asks, as Obama’s Hiroshima Trip Nears
- Korean Survivors of Atomic Bombs Renew Fight for Recognition, and Apology
- African American museum’s fundraising touches deep history among donors