LEARN FROM SIX PARTY TALKS - DO NOT JOIN THE EU-IRANIAN NEGOTIATIONS BUT COOPERATE ON LEBANON
This time the US should learn from what went wrong with the Six party talks with North Korea. American participation in those talks let China off the hook and kept the limelight on US -North Korean relations. The result - to get China moving, Japan and the US had to rattle its cage. Unnecessary.
Had the US not participated, China would have had to demonstrate its ability to influence its client or see its helplessness exposed and erode its growing influence in Asia.
The same will apply to the other free rider - the EU and specifically Germany. They want the US to join the talks, so that they can avoid responsibility for their failure to influence Iran. Indeed, it will enable them to blame the US (not enough carrots for the Mullahs) instead of Iran and they will not have to face the evidence of their ongoing failure to deal with the former Yugoslavia. (See, EUROPEAN FAILURE TURNED "BOSNIA AND HERZEGOVINA INTO A GATEWAY FOR TERRORISM")
If the EU wants to be listened to it has to demonstrate that it is willing to act. The place to cooperate with the EU is in getting Syria out of Lebanon.
Already Chirac accused of leading Anti-Syria battle. And today Bush and Chirac call for"free" Lebanon
Good. Let's see if he can take the heat and stand by his martyred friend. The Lebanese are trying. Let's not leave them hanging!
Chanting "Syria out," thousands of people packed the streets of Beirut on Monday to protest against Syrian forces in Lebanon.
Arab League Claims Syria to Pull Troops Out of Lebanon
The Iranians do not wish to fall behind. Is it possible that it will be the Kurds who were first to demonstrate that Iraqis can have a functional democracy be the one's who lead the way in Syria and Iran? After all, they understand that they are destined to remain a minority and, as such, their rights can only be secured in a democracy.
comments powered by Disqus
- Did Salmonella Kill Off the Aztecs?
- Jewish history is under siege in the middle east and these volunteers are risking their lives to protect it
- 'Amazon should stop selling Holocaust denial books'
- National Museum of African American History and Culture Reaches Milestone of 1 Million Visitors
- What Makes a President Great? Clipping? Sipping? Slashing?
- McMaster knows how national security policy can go wrong. Will that help him?
- Historian and Antiwar Activist Marilyn Young Dies at 79
- Trump Chooses Historian H.R. McMaster as National Security Adviser
- Holocaust Historian Deborah Lipstadt Explains Why People Believe Trump's Lies
- Princeton’s Harold James warns World War Three is now a "serious threat”