PUNDITS' INTELECTUAL HONESTY OR DISHONESTY
Then came the Afghani, Palestinian and Iraqi elections and now the specter of a Lebanese uprising. The McLoughlin group was amazing. So protective were some of the not so mavens of Syria and Assad Fils that John McLouglhlin announced that Syria bordered Iran and Eleanor Clift informed us that without Lebanon, Syria would be a land locked country. Luckily, they invited a Lebanese to correct them.
He was much less enamored with Syria. Yes, Arab intellectuals are coming around and so are honest pundits like Fareed Zakaria (Standing Up for People Power )and Tom Friedman ( When Camels Fly ). Zakaria told Stephanapolis that the pundits were wrong. The Arab people do want democracy and the rule of law. Moreover, they elected moderates who behave decently. Yes. We were right to trust the people. Poor people, they will have risk their lives and, indeed, at time pay with their lives to get rid of those who wish to keep them slaves.
comments powered by Disqus
- Watch every presidential debate since 1960
- Clinton-Trump Debate Expected to Be Rare Draw in a Polarized Age
- Obama hails opening of the African American Museum
- Palestinians' Abbas seeks British apology for 1917 Jewish homeland declaration
- Anger as Churchill's home turned into Hitler HQ for Transformers 5
- Karl Dietrich Bracher, German Historian of Nazi Era, Dies at 94
- Allan Lichtman predicts Trump will win
- Doris Kearns Goodwin scores an interview with Barack Obama
- Art historian Kellie Jones wins a MacArthur Foundation “Genius” grant
- Historians note that prisoners have been treated inhumanely throughout American history