PUNDITS' INTELECTUAL HONESTY OR DISHONESTY
Then came the Afghani, Palestinian and Iraqi elections and now the specter of a Lebanese uprising. The McLoughlin group was amazing. So protective were some of the not so mavens of Syria and Assad Fils that John McLouglhlin announced that Syria bordered Iran and Eleanor Clift informed us that without Lebanon, Syria would be a land locked country. Luckily, they invited a Lebanese to correct them.
He was much less enamored with Syria. Yes, Arab intellectuals are coming around and so are honest pundits like Fareed Zakaria (Standing Up for People Power )and Tom Friedman ( When Camels Fly ). Zakaria told Stephanapolis that the pundits were wrong. The Arab people do want democracy and the rule of law. Moreover, they elected moderates who behave decently. Yes. We were right to trust the people. Poor people, they will have risk their lives and, indeed, at time pay with their lives to get rid of those who wish to keep them slaves.
comments powered by Disqus
- Now it’s the University of Louisville’s turn to remove a Confederate statue
- A fortress built by Alexander the Great after he conquered Jerusalem has been discovered
- Yale students protest decision to keep Calhoun’s name
- Six maps that will make you rethink the world
- Middle Tenn. State President Wants to Strip Confederate General’s Name From Building
- The historian and cartographer Bill Rankin has developed a new way to visualize slavery
- Paula S. Fass says young Americans need required national service
- Historians are now trying to show that the gay revolution also took place in the midwest
- The Unconference Movement Grows – And Historians Are Taking the Lead
- New appeal to "Bring Back Military History"