PUNDITS' INTELECTUAL HONESTY OR DISHONESTY
Then came the Afghani, Palestinian and Iraqi elections and now the specter of a Lebanese uprising. The McLoughlin group was amazing. So protective were some of the not so mavens of Syria and Assad Fils that John McLouglhlin announced that Syria bordered Iran and Eleanor Clift informed us that without Lebanon, Syria would be a land locked country. Luckily, they invited a Lebanese to correct them.
He was much less enamored with Syria. Yes, Arab intellectuals are coming around and so are honest pundits like Fareed Zakaria (Standing Up for People Power )and Tom Friedman ( When Camels Fly ). Zakaria told Stephanapolis that the pundits were wrong. The Arab people do want democracy and the rule of law. Moreover, they elected moderates who behave decently. Yes. We were right to trust the people. Poor people, they will have risk their lives and, indeed, at time pay with their lives to get rid of those who wish to keep them slaves.
comments powered by Disqus
- Snopes debunks slavery Internet meme
- Revamped Chinese History Journal Welcomes Hard-Line Writers
- Poll: 3 Out of 5 Texan Trump Supporters Want Secession if Hillary Clinton Is Elected
- The Psychiatric Question: Is It Fair to Analyze Donald Trump From Afar?
- Minorities still feel Eugene, Oregon’s historical link to the Ku Klux Klan
- Ernst Nolte, Historian Whose Views on Hitler Caused an Uproar, Dies at 93
- Japan should give formal apology for wartime aggression, says historian
- Historian Benjamin Madley says what whites did to Indians in the 19th century in California was genocide.
- Kevin Baker says America needs to bring back political machines
- Covell Meyskens uses his blog to show what life was like under Mao. (Interview)