PUNDITS' INTELECTUAL HONESTY OR DISHONESTY
Then came the Afghani, Palestinian and Iraqi elections and now the specter of a Lebanese uprising. The McLoughlin group was amazing. So protective were some of the not so mavens of Syria and Assad Fils that John McLouglhlin announced that Syria bordered Iran and Eleanor Clift informed us that without Lebanon, Syria would be a land locked country. Luckily, they invited a Lebanese to correct them.
He was much less enamored with Syria. Yes, Arab intellectuals are coming around and so are honest pundits like Fareed Zakaria (Standing Up for People Power )and Tom Friedman ( When Camels Fly ). Zakaria told Stephanapolis that the pundits were wrong. The Arab people do want democracy and the rule of law. Moreover, they elected moderates who behave decently. Yes. We were right to trust the people. Poor people, they will have risk their lives and, indeed, at time pay with their lives to get rid of those who wish to keep them slaves.
comments powered by Disqus
- Black Georgetown Employee Found Out the School Sold His Great-Great-Great Grandmother
- E.U. Is Turning 60 and Searching for Something to Celebrate
- The Most Controversial Psych Study Is Repeated — Same Weird Result
- A new book explores the stunning revelation that Hemingway spied for the USSR
- A President’s Restless Corpse May Be on the Move Again in Tennessee
- Christopher Lasch, the late historian/social commentator, is suddenly everywhere
- Harvard art historian’s interest in black history has roots in her grandfather’s question in high school
- Human History ‘Will End When Men Become Gods’
- Yale’s Timothy Snyder explains to Bill Maher how Trump resembles 1930s fascists — and makes the Russia connection
- China Bars Historian at Australian University From Leaving, Lawyer Says