AMAZING - BBC APOLOGIZES FOR DEMONIZING ISRAEL. BRITAIN CONFRONTS ITS GROWING ANTISEMITISM
Sorry, I must control myself. The BBC appologizes.
The BBC apologised yesterday for an item on a religious programme that angered the Jewish community by"demonising" Israel.
Dozens of complaints have been received about a story on Radio 4's Thought for the Day during the Today programme that suggested a Muslim corporal in the Israeli army had been jailed for refusing to shoot Palestinian children.
The contributor, the Rev Dr John Bell, also apologised and admitted his story could have been interpreted as"furtive racism" at a time when"Jewish sensitivity in Britain is running high because of anti-Semitism".
To be honest, I do not believe the British ever stopped being Antisemitic. They just covered it up for a while. I lived in Britain for a year and my daughter went to Queen's College where she was shocked by the way she was treated both as a Jew and as an American. They were particularly furious with the fact that she excelled at the O level exams. As they had a tradition of gathering the student body and reading out the students who recieved the best grades in the various subject. They were stuck by having to call her name over and over again.
In addition, the BBC loved picking on Israel. The left loved to argue that Sharon is just as bad as Arafat. They hate to be proven wrong. So, last night I listened to the BBC describe in great detail a film produced by the Trotzkite"International Solidarity" of the"horror" of the Israeli destruction of the houses of families of suicide bombers."Unfortunately for them," the woman could not detail any misbehavior of the soldiers who apparently listened patiently to the self appointed"human shield" who tried to convince them that they are breaking international law.
To their great misfortune, the story had to begin with the news that Israel decided to stop blowing up the houses because it concluded that it is an ineffective punishment. A row continues over Ken Livingstone's refusal to apologise for likening a Jewish newspaper reporter to a concentration camp guard.
comments powered by Disqus
Judith Apter Klinghoffer - 3/2/2005
Good for you. It is never too early to stand up to racists and antisemites. It is sad that it never seems to end.
Brian Keith Tickler - 3/1/2005
Yes indeed, there has always been anti jewish sentiment in England. My first friend in my life was a girl named Ruth and at 4 years old I had to defend her in nursery school from anti-Jweish attacks. We were both 4 years old!
- Rise of Donald Trump Tracks Growing Debate Over Global Fascism
- Tales of African-American History Found in DNA
- History Celebrates New Show Roots With Project to Digitize Post-Slavery Documents
- In 1453, this Ottoman sultan ended Christian rule in Constantinople. But was he a good Muslim?
- Abraham Lincoln's Emancipation Proclamation among documents sold for $6.2m in New York
- History Relevance Campaign meets at the Smithsonian
- Bernard Lewis Turns 100
- David Lowenthal, author of "The Past Is a Foreign Country,” says it’s folly to scratch the names of slaveholders off buildings
- Jean Edward Smith, biographer of FDR and Ike, has a new biography coming out … of George W. Bush
- Flora Fraser, biographer of George and Martha Washington, wins $50,000 George Washington Prize