BRAVO DANES FOR PROVING THAT HELPING IRAQ IS NOT AN ELECTORAL LIABILITY
With Denmark following Australia and the US, it is becoming clearer that Spain was an aberration and not the wave of the future. Nor does joining the US in fighting terrorism by helping the democratization of the Middle East mean losing elections.
NYT -"DENMARK: GOVERNMENT WINS SECOND TERM Prime Minister Anders Fogh Rasmussen's center-right government won a second term as voters embraced its plans to keep immigration in check and taxes from rising. The issue of Iraq and Denmark's 501 troops stationed there was largely ignored during the campaign." (AP)
Really? A very quick google search brought up not only an example of Danes rally against Iraq war prior to the elections but also,"The Social Democrats, led by Mogens Lykketoft, . . . attacked the government's close support for the United States, saying:"We don't want to be part of the US-led occupation force."
Blair should take heart. People may be skeptical but leaders who can deliver a decent economy as he and Rasmussen did, are given slack in foreign policy especially one which they can be proud of.
comments powered by Disqus
- Unilateral U.S. nuclear pullback in 1991 matched by rapid Soviet cuts
- More Historians Come Out for Trump
- History lesson horrifies parent: Blacks used to have ‘strong work ethic’ during slavery
- Philippines President Compares Himself To Hitler in Anti-Crime Rant
- U.S. Extradites Baltimore Professor to Rwanda to Stand Trial for Genocide