BRAVO DANES FOR PROVING THAT HELPING IRAQ IS NOT AN ELECTORAL LIABILITY
With Denmark following Australia and the US, it is becoming clearer that Spain was an aberration and not the wave of the future. Nor does joining the US in fighting terrorism by helping the democratization of the Middle East mean losing elections.
NYT -"DENMARK: GOVERNMENT WINS SECOND TERM Prime Minister Anders Fogh Rasmussen's center-right government won a second term as voters embraced its plans to keep immigration in check and taxes from rising. The issue of Iraq and Denmark's 501 troops stationed there was largely ignored during the campaign." (AP)
Really? A very quick google search brought up not only an example of Danes rally against Iraq war prior to the elections but also,"The Social Democrats, led by Mogens Lykketoft, . . . attacked the government's close support for the United States, saying:"We don't want to be part of the US-led occupation force."
Blair should take heart. People may be skeptical but leaders who can deliver a decent economy as he and Rasmussen did, are given slack in foreign policy especially one which they can be proud of.
comments powered by Disqus
- New Yorker profiles activist who's drawing attention to lynchings
- Wisconsin GOP senator wants to replace history professors with Ken Burns videos
- UT removes Confederate inscription that it previously said would stay
- The man behind the Smithsonian’s new African-American history museum
- Greece vows pressure on Germany to get WWII reparations
- Some Ohio University professors ditch the textbooks, and the prices
- Renowned Israeli Holocaust Historian: ‘If I Were a British Jew, I’d Be Worried’
- Heather Ann Thompson pries loose the long-kept secrets of Attica in her new book
- Lonnie Bunch remembers his first day on the job as director of the new black history museum
- Speaker Ryan loves pseudo-historian David Barton