Love Makes the Postage Meter Go ‘Round (The New U.S. Love Stamp)
New York–based artist Jeanne Greco, well known as a designer of conceptual imagery for such firms and products as Swatch, Barbie, and film director Francis Ford Coppola’s California winery, was up to the challenge. “In recent years,” she says, “I have found my designs shrinking in size: I like to work within the borders of a limited space.” Few spaces are more limited than a postage stamp, of course; as a thought experiment, try making a meaningful image in that tiny panel yourself, and you’ll see how many difficulties immediately present themselves.
When the U.S. Post Office approached Greco to make an updated Love stamp, she found herself wanting, as she recalls, “to depict a type of mature love, one of compassion and devotion,” and to do so as succinctly as Indiana while using a mixture of lettering and visual imagery....
comments powered by Disqus
- Laura Hillenbrand writes her masterpieces despite suffering from Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- New PBS DVD From Henry Louis Gates Jr. Explores African Influence on the Caribbean
- The Council on Foreign Relations Honors Kissinger Critic
- Architectural historian discovers Chartres Cathedral has started faking it
- Rick Perlstein hits back at a critic of his book on Reagan