Obama Takes On “Christian Nation” Fiction, Secular Coalition CheersBreaking News
Although the President has previously described America as a nation of not only Christians but Jews, Muslims and nonbelievers, his April 6 statement goes beyond an inventory of religious sects to a unifying theme of shared American secular values. “The President has got this one exactly right,” declared Ron Millar, acting director of the Secular Coalition for America. “Not only did he reject the Christian nation canard; he said we are above all a nation of citizens with shared values. This has always been our message. We couldn’t be happier.”
“The insistence that the United States is a Christian nation is one of the Religious Right’s most persistent, dishonest and dangerous ploys,” said Millar. “They’ve been trying to rewrite our history through legislation introduced by their collaborators in Congress. The President delivered an important history lesson in Turkey; we hope he’ll do the same thing here at home.”
As the Secular Coalition and its allies have repeatedly pointed out, the word “God” does not appear in our constitution, and volumes of documents demonstrate that the Founders intentionally drew a bright line between religion and government to guarantee freedom of – and from – religion for every American citizen. With a Constitutional-Scholar-in-Chief now occupying the White House, the Secular Coalition hopes America can once again celebrate its proud secular history and put the myth of a Christian nation behind us.
The Secular Coalition for America is a 501(c)4 advocacy organization consisting of nine member groups which serve atheists, agnostics, humanists, freethinkers and other nontheistic Americans. Its purpose is to amplify the diverse and growing voice of the nontheistic community in the United States. The Coalition works to protect the civil rights of nontheists and lobbies the U.S. Congress on issues of concern to its constituents. The group's website is www.secular.org .
Is the United States a Christian Country?
comments powered by Disqus
Randll Reese Besch - 4/11/2009
One of the items that I do find our president to be doing right.
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Transcribed Document: Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity