comments powered by Disqus
HNN Hot Topics: OlympicsHot Topics
Image via Wiki Commons.
Click HERE for our latest stories.
- The Ancient Olympics (Tufts University)"Members of the Perseus Project created this exhibit on the ancient Olympics in 1996, as a tribute to the Centennial Olympic Games held in Atlanta, Georgia. In this exhibit, you can compare ancient and modern Olympic sports, tour the site of Olympia as it looks today, learn about the context of the Games and the Olympic spirit, or read about the Olympic athletes who were famous in ancient times."
Articles and Excerpts
- When There Were Arts Olympians
- Andrew Swift: A Guide to the International Conflicts Playing out at the Winter Olympics
- Counting Down to the 2010 Winter Olympic Games
- Al Senn: Olympic Controversies Past and Present
- Geoff Small: Remembering the Black Power protest
- Editorial in the Independent: 1968 Olympics ... The divided legacy of black power
- Tug-of-war, obstacle courses, live pigeon shooting: Reliving quirky sports in Olympic history
- Susan Brownell: Could China stop Taiwan from coming to the Olympic Games?
- Jeffrey Wasserstrom: The Boycotts of ’08 Revisited
- Susan Brownell: Which previous Olympic Games provides the most useful historical precedent for understanding the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games?
- Jonathan Zimmerman: Are the Olympic games politicized? Yes.
- Tony Perrottet: Beware of Greeks Bearing Placards
- William Thompson: The Olympics: A Return to Ethics: Character, Principles, and Consequences
- Mary Beard: Professor reminds everybody that Hitler invented the Olympic torch
- Kyle Smith: Cancel the Olympics
- The Worst of the Modern Olympics Was Held ... ?
- George Beres: Olympics Memories
- Jeffrey O. Segrave: Hitler's Ambitious Plans for the 1936 Olympics
- They Used to Compete in the Nude
- Tony Perrottet: Hitler's Contribution to Olympic Pageantry
- Tom Palima: Do You Have to Be Brave to Attend this Year's Olympics?
- A Very Brief History of the Olympics
- Did the Baron de Coubertin Really Revive the Olympics?
- The Ancient Olympics: The Real Thing
- Jonathan Dresner: Why I Won't Be Watching the Olympics
- Athens Is a Terrible Place to Hold the Olympics This Year--But If All Goes Well, It Could Be the Best Place
- David Foglesong: Gold Medals, Double Standards, and the Russians
- Kelley Duddleson: Top 6 Differences Between the Ancient and Modern Olympics
- Rick Shenkman: Adolf Hitler, Jesse Owens and the Olympics Myth of 1936
comments powered by Disqus
- What Robert E. Lee Wrote to The Times About Slavery in 1858
- ICC orders Mali extremist to pay $3.2 million in reparations
- Political Rage Over Statues? Old News in the Old World
- Deadly U.S. Embassy Bombing in Kenya Was ‘Avoidable,’ According to Scorching New Memoir
- There are certain moments in US history when Confederate monuments go up
- Eric Foner says in an interview that it’s not necessary to remove Confederate statues
- Philip Zelikow says the government should crack down on armed groups of militants
- Conservatives complain that a "Pro-gay U.S. embassy features ‘art’ by anti-Trump professor”
- N. D. B. Connolly says Charlottesville showed that liberalism can’t defeat white supremacy
- Historian William I. Hitchcock schools policymakers: Ike never threatened to use nukes in North Korea