comments powered by Disqus
HNN Hot Topics: Olympics
Image via Wiki Commons.
- The Ancient Olympics (Tufts University)"Members of the Perseus Project created this exhibit on the ancient Olympics in 1996, as a tribute to the Centennial Olympic Games held in Atlanta, Georgia. In this exhibit, you can compare ancient and modern Olympic sports, tour the site of Olympia as it looks today, learn about the context of the Games and the Olympic spirit, or read about the Olympic athletes who were famous in ancient times."
Articles and Excerpts
- When There Were Arts Olympians
- Andrew Swift: A Guide to the International Conflicts Playing out at the Winter Olympics
- Counting Down to the 2010 Winter Olympic Games
- Al Senn: Olympic Controversies Past and Present
- Geoff Small: Remembering the Black Power protest
- Editorial in the Independent: 1968 Olympics ... The divided legacy of black power
- Tug-of-war, obstacle courses, live pigeon shooting: Reliving quirky sports in Olympic history
- Susan Brownell: Could China stop Taiwan from coming to the Olympic Games?
- Jeffrey Wasserstrom: The Boycotts of ’08 Revisited
- Susan Brownell: Which previous Olympic Games provides the most useful historical precedent for understanding the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games?
- Jonathan Zimmerman: Are the Olympic games politicized? Yes.
- Tony Perrottet: Beware of Greeks Bearing Placards
- William Thompson: The Olympics: A Return to Ethics: Character, Principles, and Consequences
- Mary Beard: Professor reminds everybody that Hitler invented the Olympic torch
- Kyle Smith: Cancel the Olympics
- The Worst of the Modern Olympics Was Held ... ?
- George Beres: Olympics Memories
- Jeffrey O. Segrave: Hitler's Ambitious Plans for the 1936 Olympics
- They Used to Compete in the Nude
- Tony Perrottet: Hitler's Contribution to Olympic Pageantry
- Tom Palima: Do You Have to Be Brave to Attend this Year's Olympics?
- A Very Brief History of the Olympics
- Did the Baron de Coubertin Really Revive the Olympics?
- The Ancient Olympics: The Real Thing
- Jonathan Dresner: Why I Won't Be Watching the Olympics
- Athens Is a Terrible Place to Hold the Olympics This Year--But If All Goes Well, It Could Be the Best Place
- David Foglesong: Gold Medals, Double Standards, and the Russians
- Kelley Duddleson: Top 6 Differences Between the Ancient and Modern Olympics
- Rick Shenkman: Adolf Hitler, Jesse Owens and the Olympics Myth of 1936
comments powered by Disqus
- Russian History Receives a Makeover That Starts With Ivan the Terrible
- Parsing Ronald Reagan’s Words for Early Signs of Alzheimer’s
- Here's a look at history of 'religious freedom' laws
- ‘Hamilton’ Puts Politics Onstage and Politicians in Attendance
- Earth Tectonic Plate Simulation Reveals Our Planet Has Changed A Lot In 200 Million Years
- Historians make it easy for visitors to DC to understand the history of the Mall
- History's Grandin Wins Bancroft Prize for "The Empire of Necessity"
- Nobel prize-winning scientist writes a history of science
- Ken Burns tackles history of cancer