Two new novels by the late Roberto Bolano discovered among his papers
The previously unseen manuscripts were entitled Diorama and The Troubles of the Real Police Officer, according to a report in La Vanguardia.
The newspaper said the documents also included what is believed to be a sixth section of the epic five part novel 2666, which created a stir when it was published in English last year.
The novels reportedly came to light among piles of documents, notebooks and diaries discovered after the author's death in 2003 at the age of 50.
Bolano died in Spain after spending the last part of his life in the Costa Brava region, where he worked a series of menial jobs including washing dishes, selling jewellery to tourists and as a night watchman at a campsite in order to support himself, a wife and young family while he pursued his literary ambitions.
Bolano posthumously grew in popularity after 2666 was translated into English and was one of the New York Times's top 10 books of 2008. His novel The Savage Detectives appeared on the same list the previous year.
The recent discovery follows that of a previous work, entitled The Third Reich, which was found after his death and shown to publishers at the Frankfurt book fair in October.
Publication of the books would add to the number of works by Bolano due to appear over the next few years; the English translations of three novels and four collections of stories are already scheduled for the end of 2011
comments powered by Disqus
- New museum in Poland -- the grandest space created since 1989 -- tells the story of the Jews
- Lewinsky mistreated by authorities in investigation of Clinton, report says
- Scientists Say Proof Of Jack The Ripper's Identity Is Fatally Flawed
- Memorial for black Revolutionary War soldiers finds spot on Mall after 30 years
- Sherlock Holmes star to feature in a new movie about Alan Turning
- How Laurel Thatcher Ulrich caught up with the past
- Postal Workers Take on Harvard President, historian Drew Faust
- Symposium held in honor of John D’Emilio
- Thousands of Historic Archives from British Asylums to Go Online
- American Studies Association boycott of Israel: Conservatives say it’s weakening