Two new novels by the late Roberto Bolano discovered among his papers
The previously unseen manuscripts were entitled Diorama and The Troubles of the Real Police Officer, according to a report in La Vanguardia.
The newspaper said the documents also included what is believed to be a sixth section of the epic five part novel 2666, which created a stir when it was published in English last year.
The novels reportedly came to light among piles of documents, notebooks and diaries discovered after the author's death in 2003 at the age of 50.
Bolano died in Spain after spending the last part of his life in the Costa Brava region, where he worked a series of menial jobs including washing dishes, selling jewellery to tourists and as a night watchman at a campsite in order to support himself, a wife and young family while he pursued his literary ambitions.
Bolano posthumously grew in popularity after 2666 was translated into English and was one of the New York Times's top 10 books of 2008. His novel The Savage Detectives appeared on the same list the previous year.
The recent discovery follows that of a previous work, entitled The Third Reich, which was found after his death and shown to publishers at the Frankfurt book fair in October.
Publication of the books would add to the number of works by Bolano due to appear over the next few years; the English translations of three novels and four collections of stories are already scheduled for the end of 2011
comments powered by Disqus
- King Tut had overbite, club foot because his parents were brother and sister
- Prehistoric humans were far smarter than previously assumed
- Priests race to save manuscripts from jihadists in Iraq
- Where Mud Is Archaeological Gold, Russian History Grew on Trees
- Conflict Uncovers a Ukrainian Identity Crisis Over Deep Russian Roots
- Highlights of the recent Oral History Association Meeting
- Rick Perlstein response to Sam Tanenhaus's complaint that he's an aggregator
- Thai historian faces charges for daring to challenge a story about a royal king
- It's Rick Perlstein vs. Judith Stein in a Three Round Fight
- Park Honan, a Biographer of Authors, Is Dead at 86