Sonja Karadzic insists father 'innocent'Breaking News
Ms Karadzic told me how she had no contact with her father for five years. She and her mother had begun the legal process in Bosnia to have him declared officially dead.
In an exclusive interview with the BBC, she has given the first real insight into how her father will defend himself at the UN's International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia (ICTY) at The Hague when his trial begins - probably later this year.
Then, in July last year, a friend telephoned to tell her she had heard on television that her father - the former Bosnian Serb leader, who had led his people in a war to divide Bosnia along ethnic lines - had been arrested in Belgrade.
Her father is accused of multiple acts of genocide, crimes against humanity, extermination, and forced deportation.
Among the charges he faces is responsibility for the siege and bombardment, by his forces, of Sarajevo. The indictment accuses his men of inflicting terror on the civilian population for 44 months.
Allan Little: So do you accept that your father has responsibility for that?
SK: No. I can't accept that because I really know - I was there and I worked with him all the time. He can't be responsible for such things.
His daughter says he was shocked when he learned, in July 1995, that thousands of Muslim men and boys had been murdered - but that he bears no responsibility.
When I asked her about this, she made the extraordinary claim that Bill Clinton, the then US president, bears the main responsibility for what was the worst massacre on European soil since World War II.
comments powered by Disqus
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Transcribed Document: Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity