The last survivor of Operation Valkyrie on his plot to kill HitlerRoundup: Pop Culture & the Arts ... Movies, Documentaries and Museum Exhibits
Philip, who was the last survivor of the plotters, said:"My brother George called and said, 'They want explosives'. I knew exactly what for."
Philip was one of the lucky ones. In Hitler's bloodbath of revenge, most of the plotters died, some by firing squad or suicide but many suffered the grotesque and painfully slow death of being hanged by piano wire.
Now the story of their doomed assassination attempt is being told in a documentary DVD.
It is released to coincide with Valkyrie, the block buster starring Tom Cruise as plot ringleader Claus Schenk von Stauffenberg.
comments powered by Disqus
- ‘No Vacancies’ for Blacks: How Donald Trump Got His Start, and Was First Accused of Bias
- New Yorker profiles activist who's drawing attention to lynchings
- Wisconsin GOP senator wants to replace history professors with Ken Burns videos
- UT removes Confederate inscription that it previously said would stay
- The man behind the Smithsonian’s new African-American history museum
- NYT publishes historians' plea for the revival of political history
- Some Ohio University professors ditch the textbooks, and the prices
- Renowned Israeli Holocaust Historian: ‘If I Were a British Jew, I’d Be Worried’
- Heather Ann Thompson pries loose the long-kept secrets of Attica in her new book
- Lonnie Bunch remembers his first day on the job as director of the new black history museum