Japan 'sought US nuclear help'
The documents, declassified by Japan's foreign ministry, summarise talks held during a visit to Washington by Japan's then prime minister, Eisaku Sato.
Mr Sato won the Nobel peace prize in 1974 for his rejection of nuclear weapons.
Japan is committed to pacifism under the terms of its post-war constitution.
It is the only country in the world to have suffered a nuclear attack.
comments powered by Disqus
- Conference delves into effects of climate change on native people
- History professor says the Vikings never came to Newfoundland
- NYT praises James McPherson for finding a way to remain objective about Jeff Davis
- Historian says the removal of Nazi-era art to Switzerland makes restitution unlikely
- Martin Kramer blasts MESA and Steven Salaita