Does David Irving deserve this platform?Historians in the News
On Tuesday night, C4's offshoot channel, More4, is showing a 90-minute documentary, An Independent Mind, in celebration of the 60th anniversary of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.
It is publicising it heavily, with a special screening the night before at the Royal Society of Arts, hosted by Channel 4 News's foreign correspondent Jonathan Miller. According to the puff: 'This unique film gives a voice to eight characters from around the world who have fought to exercise their right to free speech.'
What C4 doesn't say is that the film's eighth and final hero is Irving. The timing is fortunate for Irving, if not for the rest of us, since he's currently trying to flog his self-published misery memoir.
The Board of Deputies of British Jews tells me the programme should not be shown. 'Whatever airtime David Irving gets is too much,' says chief executive Jon Benjamin. 'Here, he once again seems to be casting himself in the role of victim.'
comments powered by Disqus
Randll Reese Besch - 12/10/2008
Is that the most ugly and evil among us also get to speak. But then so do you and I too including in contradiction and contradistinction of them. Otherwise the 'freedom' is limited to the accepted and approved which you can find in any kind of dictatorship and authoritarian society.
We know that if Irving got the kind of country he wanted he would be the champion of his speech and not of his opponents. He and his ilk use the fact that some people are against free speech for everyone because some of them are bad in many ways and so unwittingly feed their enemy's point about getting their say too. Ironic but true.
The Board of Deputies of British Jews should make their own programs if they want to get their point across. Not to stop others they don't like. That would be the better way instead of selective suppression which is supported in this country.
Lorraine Paul - 12/10/2008
Obviously not admirer's of Voltaire's friend!
- Did Salmonella Kill Off the Aztecs?
- Jewish history is under siege in the middle east and these volunteers are risking their lives to protect it
- 'Amazon should stop selling Holocaust denial books'
- National Museum of African American History and Culture Reaches Milestone of 1 Million Visitors
- What Makes a President Great? Clipping? Sipping? Slashing?
- McMaster knows how national security policy can go wrong. Will that help him?
- Historian and Antiwar Activist Marilyn Young Dies at 79
- Trump Chooses Historian H.R. McMaster as National Security Adviser
- Holocaust Historian Deborah Lipstadt Explains Why People Believe Trump's Lies
- Princeton’s Harold James warns World War Three is now a "serious threat”