Does David Irving deserve this platform?Historians in the News
On Tuesday night, C4's offshoot channel, More4, is showing a 90-minute documentary, An Independent Mind, in celebration of the 60th anniversary of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.
It is publicising it heavily, with a special screening the night before at the Royal Society of Arts, hosted by Channel 4 News's foreign correspondent Jonathan Miller. According to the puff: 'This unique film gives a voice to eight characters from around the world who have fought to exercise their right to free speech.'
What C4 doesn't say is that the film's eighth and final hero is Irving. The timing is fortunate for Irving, if not for the rest of us, since he's currently trying to flog his self-published misery memoir.
The Board of Deputies of British Jews tells me the programme should not be shown. 'Whatever airtime David Irving gets is too much,' says chief executive Jon Benjamin. 'Here, he once again seems to be casting himself in the role of victim.'
comments powered by Disqus
Randll Reese Besch - 12/10/2008
Is that the most ugly and evil among us also get to speak. But then so do you and I too including in contradiction and contradistinction of them. Otherwise the 'freedom' is limited to the accepted and approved which you can find in any kind of dictatorship and authoritarian society.
We know that if Irving got the kind of country he wanted he would be the champion of his speech and not of his opponents. He and his ilk use the fact that some people are against free speech for everyone because some of them are bad in many ways and so unwittingly feed their enemy's point about getting their say too. Ironic but true.
The Board of Deputies of British Jews should make their own programs if they want to get their point across. Not to stop others they don't like. That would be the better way instead of selective suppression which is supported in this country.
Lorraine Paul - 12/10/2008
Obviously not admirer's of Voltaire's friend!
- Snopes debunks slavery Internet meme
- Revamped Chinese History Journal Welcomes Hard-Line Writers
- Poll: 3 Out of 5 Texan Trump Supporters Want Secession if Hillary Clinton Is Elected
- The Psychiatric Question: Is It Fair to Analyze Donald Trump From Afar?
- Minorities still feel Eugene, Oregon’s historical link to the Ku Klux Klan
- Ernst Nolte, Historian Whose Views on Hitler Caused an Uproar, Dies at 93
- Japan should give formal apology for wartime aggression, says historian
- Kevin Baker says America needs to bring back political machines
- Covell Meyskens uses his blog to show what life was like under Mao. (Interview)