A misleading documentary about a misleading documentary about 9-11Roundup: Pop Culture & the Arts ... Movies, Documentaries and Museum Exhibits
Politico has a decided to return to that messy affair, asking at the top of their website today:"Who was blocking 'The Path to 9/11'?" Jeffrey Ressner writes of the"Disney censorship fiasco" around that documentary, asserting in his lead that ABC cut scenes and shelved a DVD"after complaints from political forces." The news peg is that another documentary has been released alleging that The Path to 9/11 was censored -- the director is"hopeful that his newest work will expose the machinations of Disney, Clinton and the Hollywood left."
In his entire piece, Ressner never mentions even one of the factual inaccuracies made by the film, framing them only vaguely as bones of political contention. He also shifts from reporting into editorializing throughout the story, such as in this idiotic paragraph:
"Blocking 'The Path to 9/11'" presents strong evidence that many of the original docudrama's harshest critics were also among its most ignorant. Ziegler smartly cuts together many of the Democrats -- including Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid -- admitting they had not seen the film that they were complaining about."The Path to 9/11" was by no means a perfect docudrama, and the real-life figures certainly had a right to complain about their depiction and the way in which actual events were dramatized. But censorship is a dangerous thing, and"Blocking 'The Path to 9/11'" is a look at behind-the-scenes power struggles in Hollywood that few people ever see.
This story basically serves as a press
release for conservative claims that 'The Path to 9/11' was somehow censored by
the"Hollywood left" and/or the Clintons, which is a myth
successfully inserted into mainstream dialogue elsewhere. This is all, of course, nuts. Democrats complained about it because it
slandered them with wild inaccuracies. The Clintons don't have any veto power at ABC,
and most importantly, while some scenes were removed, it still ran with a bunch
of obviously wrong things anyway. That's a censorship fiasco how? I don't think Politico has fact-checkers, but if they
did, would their titles be" censors?" The Politico claims that the right-wing politics of its owner do not influence its
coverage. Well, something right-wing -- and ignorant -- is certainly influencing Mr. Ressner, adding further shame to everyone
at ABC connected to the project, or who did not raise their voices in
comments powered by Disqus
- Did Salmonella Kill Off the Aztecs?
- Jewish history is under siege in the middle east and these volunteers are risking their lives to protect it
- 'Amazon should stop selling Holocaust denial books'
- National Museum of African American History and Culture Reaches Milestone of 1 Million Visitors
- What Makes a President Great? Clipping? Sipping? Slashing?
- McMaster knows how national security policy can go wrong. Will that help him?
- Historian and Antiwar Activist Marilyn Young Dies at 79
- Trump Chooses Historian H.R. McMaster as National Security Adviser
- Holocaust Historian Deborah Lipstadt Explains Why People Believe Trump's Lies
- Princeton’s Harold James warns World War Three is now a "serious threat”