Plea: Tell Congress to Save the NHPRC!Historians in the News
The National Coalition for History strongly opposes the President’s irresponsible recommendation and is requesting Congress to appropriate FY 2009 funding at the fully authorized level – $10 million for the NHPRC national grants program and an additional $2 million for staffing and related program administration.
In fiscal year 2008, Congress saved the NHPRC from elimination, and provided $7.5 million for grants, a $2 million increase from the previous fiscal year. However, the NHPRC has not received its fully authorized amount of $10 million in grant funding since FY 2004. In the following three fiscal years the NHPRC only received only half that amount, or approximately $5 million per-fiscal year for grants. Please go to the Humanities Advocacy Network and ask your House Member to support the fully authorized $10 million in grant funding and $2 million for administrative costs for the NHPRC. If your congressman or congresswoman is a member of the Financial Services and General Government Appropriations’ Subcommittee, the Cap Wiz system will recognize your zip code and send them a specially targeted message.
You may also call your Member of Congress through the Capitol Switchboard at 202-224-3121. The markup is only 10 days away, so please act today!
comments powered by Disqus
- Ken Burns argues that Vietnam is to blame for much of our current alienation and polarization
- Ilan Pappe says Israel Is Not a Democracy
- Drew Gilpin Faust discusses free speech in Harvard commencement address (video)
- Military Journalist Calls on General McMaster to Step Down—And Let Trump Be Trump
- Historian David Kaiser says the most exciting day of his life was JFK’s election