Declassified Studies from Cheney Pentagon Show Push for U.S. Military PredominanceBreaking News
Remarkably, these new releases censor a half dozen large sections of text that The New York Times printed on March 8, 1992, as well as a number of phrases that were officially published in January 1993 when Cheney released the public version of the guidance. "On close inspection none of those deleted passages actually meet the standards for classification because embarrassment is not a legal basis for secrecy," remarked Tom Blanton, director of the Archive. The language that the Times publicized can be seen side-by-side with the relevant portions of the February 18, 1992 draft that was the subject of the leak.
Public debate over the leaked Guidance--Sen. Joseph Biden (D-De) criticized it as "Pax Americana" thinking--led Libby and Undersecretary for Policy Paul Wolfowitz to tone down the draft to avoid controversial language. Nevertheless, the "Regional Defense Strategy" that was published under Cheney's name in January 1993 used different wording to affirm the same policies and the same purpose: to "preclude any hostile power from dominating a region critical to our interests."
In response to the Archive's original mandatory review request, the Department of Defense exempted from declassification all of the documents on the grounds that they were "pre-decisional" in nature. On appeal of the denials, the Archive sent copies of The New York Times coverage of the leaked DPG, including the extensive excerpts from the February 18, 1992 draft. The appeal was successful because the Defense Department released considerable material on the Guidance; nevertheless, Pentagon officials blacked out much of the information that the Times had already published. The documents are now before the Interagency Security Classification Appeals Panel (ISCAP) for a final declassification review.
Visit the Web site of the National Security Archive for more information about today's posting.
comments powered by Disqus
- Miami’s Watergate mystery man at heart of newly revealed CIA report
- The Anthropocene epoch: scientists declare dawn of human-influenced age
- ‘No Vacancies’ for Blacks: How Donald Trump Got His Start, and Was First Accused of Bias
- New Yorker profiles activist who's drawing attention to lynchings
- Wisconsin GOP senator wants to replace history professors with Ken Burns videos
- OAH President Nancy Cott says the Library of Congress is being politicized
- NYT publishes historians' plea for the revival of political history
- Some Ohio University professors ditch the textbooks, and the prices
- Renowned Israeli Holocaust Historian: ‘If I Were a British Jew, I’d Be Worried’
- Heather Ann Thompson pries loose the long-kept secrets of Attica in her new book