Bush Honors John Lewis, Others For Black History Month
In his remarks, Bush took aim at a resurgence in the display of nooses as misguided and disturbing type of prank. The President said it indicates that some Americans may be losing sight of the suffering that blacks have endured across the nation. Bush said"The era of rampant lynching is a shameful chapter in American history.'' He said the that a noose"is not a symbol of prairie justice, but of gross injustice.'' He said displaying one is"not a harmless prank'' and"lynching is not a word to be mentioned in jest.''
comments powered by Disqus
- Stanford historian uncovers the dark roots of humanitarianism
- Historian hailed for offering a history of the culture wars
- Scholars to set the West straight about "Apocalyptic Hopes, Millennial Dreams and Global Jihad"
- Why Eugene Genovese’s 2 sentences about Vietnam went viral in 1965
- Historians named to the 2015 class of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences