Jonathan Zimmerman: Says liberal professors have become alienated from the publicHistorians in the News
There has been “an erosion of liberal faith in citizens,” Zimmerman said. He noted that in the ’60s, liberal professors fought for student rights, but that when universities give students what they want today, professors deride administrators for giving in to “consumerism.”
Many professors these days, Zimmerman said, have as a signature quotation on their e-mail Hermann Goering’s quote about how easy it is to manipulate people into backing war. Whatever one thinks of the war in Iraq and that particular quote, Zimmerman said he found it odd that professors were using a Goering quote on their e-mail.
But it relates to the distrust of the people, Zimmerman said. Radical chic, he said, has been replaced by “radical pique.” He added: “The story we need to tell is about the alienation of professors from the publics.”...
comments powered by Disqus
Michael Schack - 5/21/2010
The topic is Are historians biased. I will not get into the politics. There has been different "schools of History on many campusses. In the late 1950's and early 1960's there was the "Wisconsin School of history lead by William Appleman Williams, a Fred Turner, and supported by C.W. Mills of Columbia. To me this is no different then the University of Chicago's Economics Department having a Milton Friedman orientation. People of similar values and orientation tend to flock together.
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Humans Hard-Wired to Teach, Anthropologist Says
- Parents outraged after students shown ‘white guilt’ cartoon for Black History Month
- Maryland is once again considering retiring its state song
- One of the last remaining Nazis goes on trial in Germany
- Inside story finally told of the young US diplomat who cracked the case of the murder of 4 nuns in El Salvador in 1980
- Historian at the center of Sanders-Clinton debate
- James Loewen Says Additional Baltimore Confederate Statues Should be Removed
- NYT History Book Reviews: Who Got Noticed this Week?
- A historian’s advice to students thinking of getting a PhD in a tough economic climate
- German historian Heinz Richter cleared of charges