Directions on Writing HistoriansHNN
HOW TO LOCATE A HISTORIAN
From time to time, you'll be asked to locate historians. To obtain contact information, you should try the web first or the following two leading history associations in the United States: The American Historical Association (AHA) and the Organization of American Historians (OAH).
You can use editor-in-chief Rick Shenkman's account to access their membership lists.
DIRECTIONS ON WRITING HISTORIANS ABOUT HNN
Use a professional tone. Tell them we are writing because we want to give them a national forum in which to educate Americans about the issues they care about.
This link provides HNN's guidelines for submissions. Please include it in all of your correspondence with historians.
SAMPLE FORM LETTER
I am an intern for George Mason University's HISTORY NEWS NETWORK, a website that gives historians a national platform for articles about current events and historical trends. (300,000 unique visitors/month.)
We would like to invite you to write an op ed for our website. Your expertise in the area of _______ studies is what has prompted this request.
Our editors, Rick Shenkman and David A. Walsh, are interested in an article that addresses the question of ________.
Submission guidelines are outlined here:
We would be happy to feature your most recent book jacket along with the article and provide a link to Amazon or whatever site you wish.
History News Network (HNN) was created in June 2001. HNN is the only website on the Internet wholly devoted to the task of putting events in the news into historical perspective every day. The site is updated daily in response to breaking news. HNN is funded by George Mason University. The magazine features articles by historians on both the left and the right. HNN is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit. 13,000 readers subscribe to our weekly newsletter. Every month the site attracts nearly 300,000 unique visitors and receives more than 6,000,000 hits. Our board includes Pauline Maier, Gil Troy, Walter Nugent, Joyce Appleby, Tom Fleming, Gerald Posner, among others.
Given the timeliness of the subject we would like the article within two weeks.
Just send me the article and I'll forward it on to our editor.
Many thanks for your time.
comments powered by Disqus
- Now it’s the University of Louisville’s turn to remove a Confederate statue
- A fortress built by Alexander the Great after he conquered Jerusalem has been discovered
- Yale students protest decision to keep Calhoun’s name
- Six maps that will make you rethink the world
- Middle Tenn. State President Wants to Strip Confederate General’s Name From Building
- The historian and cartographer Bill Rankin has developed a new way to visualize slavery
- Paula S. Fass says young Americans need required national service
- Historians are now trying to show that the gay revolution also took place in the midwest
- The Unconference Movement Grows – And Historians Are Taking the Lead
- New appeal to "Bring Back Military History"