Directions on Writing HistoriansHNN
HOW TO LOCATE A HISTORIAN
From time to time, you'll be asked to locate historians. To obtain contact information, you should try the web first or the following two leading history associations in the United States: The American Historical Association (AHA) and the Organization of American Historians (OAH).
You can use editor-in-chief Rick Shenkman's account to access their membership lists.
DIRECTIONS ON WRITING HISTORIANS ABOUT HNN
Use a professional tone. Tell them we are writing because we want to give them a national forum in which to educate Americans about the issues they care about.
This link provides HNN's guidelines for submissions. Please include it in all of your correspondence with historians.
SAMPLE FORM LETTER
I am an intern for George Mason University's HISTORY NEWS NETWORK, a website that gives historians a national platform for articles about current events and historical trends. (300,000 unique visitors/month.)
We would like to invite you to write an op ed for our website. Your expertise in the area of _______ studies is what has prompted this request.
Our editors, Rick Shenkman and David A. Walsh, are interested in an article that addresses the question of ________.
Submission guidelines are outlined here:
We would be happy to feature your most recent book jacket along with the article and provide a link to Amazon or whatever site you wish.
History News Network (HNN) was created in June 2001. HNN is the only website on the Internet wholly devoted to the task of putting events in the news into historical perspective every day. The site is updated daily in response to breaking news. HNN is funded by George Mason University. The magazine features articles by historians on both the left and the right. HNN is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit. 13,000 readers subscribe to our weekly newsletter. Every month the site attracts nearly 300,000 unique visitors and receives more than 6,000,000 hits. Our board includes Pauline Maier, Gil Troy, Walter Nugent, Joyce Appleby, Tom Fleming, Gerald Posner, among others.
Given the timeliness of the subject we would like the article within two weeks.
Just send me the article and I'll forward it on to our editor.
Many thanks for your time.
comments powered by Disqus
- Abraham Lincoln's Emancipation Proclamation among documents sold for $6.2m in New York
- Family shines light on American POW killed by Hiroshima blast
- In Hiroshima 71 years after first atomic strike, Obama calls for end of nuclear weapons
- Artist Corrects Inaccuracies At The George W. Bush Library With Augmented Reality
- “Unprecedented” discovery of mysterious structures created by Neanderthals
- History Relevance Campaign meets at the Smithsonian
- Bernard Lewis Turns 100
- David Lowenthal, author of "The Past Is a Foreign Country,” says it’s folly to scratch the names of slaveholders off buildings
- Jean Edward Smith, biographer of FDR and Ike, has a new biography coming out … of George W. Bush
- Flora Fraser, biographer of George and Martha Washington, wins $50,000 George Washington Prize