Directions on Writing HistoriansHNN
HOW TO LOCATE A HISTORIAN
From time to time, you'll be asked to locate historians. To obtain contact information, you should try the web first or the following two leading history associations in the United States: The American Historical Association (AHA) and the Organization of American Historians (OAH).
You can use editor-in-chief Rick Shenkman's account to access their membership lists.
DIRECTIONS ON WRITING HISTORIANS ABOUT HNN
Use a professional tone. Tell them we are writing because we want to give them a national forum in which to educate Americans about the issues they care about.
This link provides HNN's guidelines for submissions. Please include it in all of your correspondence with historians.
SAMPLE FORM LETTER
I am an intern for George Mason University's HISTORY NEWS NETWORK, a website that gives historians a national platform for articles about current events and historical trends. (300,000 unique visitors/month.)
We would like to invite you to write an op ed for our website. Your expertise in the area of _______ studies is what has prompted this request.
Our editors, Rick Shenkman and David A. Walsh, are interested in an article that addresses the question of ________.
Submission guidelines are outlined here:
We would be happy to feature your most recent book jacket along with the article and provide a link to Amazon or whatever site you wish.
History News Network (HNN) was created in June 2001. HNN is the only website on the Internet wholly devoted to the task of putting events in the news into historical perspective every day. The site is updated daily in response to breaking news. HNN is funded by George Mason University. The magazine features articles by historians on both the left and the right. HNN is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit. 13,000 readers subscribe to our weekly newsletter. Every month the site attracts nearly 300,000 unique visitors and receives more than 6,000,000 hits. Our board includes Pauline Maier, Gil Troy, Walter Nugent, Joyce Appleby, Tom Fleming, Gerald Posner, among others.
Given the timeliness of the subject we would like the article within two weeks.
Just send me the article and I'll forward it on to our editor.
Many thanks for your time.
comments powered by Disqus
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Parents outraged after students shown ‘white guilt’ cartoon for Black History Month
- Maryland is once again considering retiring its state song
- One of the last remaining Nazis goes on trial in Germany
- Newly released interactive map shows images of destroyed monuments of Mosul
- A historian’s advice to students thinking of getting a PhD in a tough economic climate
- German historian Heinz Richter cleared of charges
- English professor uses literature to help cure historical amnesia
- WSJ features an article by a conservative calling for the abolition of Black History Month
- Mary Beard, herself a bestselling author, wonders why more women historians aren't