Stanley Kubrick--Intellectual showmanRoundup: Pop Culture & the Arts ... Movies, Documentaries and Museum Exhibits
Belying the warm sentiments, the performance was oddly mechanical, but also familiar. The flat tonality, the affectless immobility, and the oracular manner of the bearded old man with the bald dome might have been a computer-generated talking head — were not computer animation more expressive and lifelike in the age of digital graphics. The thought calls up the obvious association: HAL 9000, an older computer model from 2001 (the movie, not the year).
Stanley Kubrick always did come off as a cold fish — sterile, analytical, reclusive, an artist drawn to icy prehistoric worlds. "The last of the cold modernists," quipped the film scholar James Naremore during a panel devoted to Kubrick at this year's annual conference of the Society for Cinema and Media Studies. "A cold bastard," said the actor-producer Kirk Douglas. Even the name for his acolytes — Kubrickians — sounds hard-edged....
comments powered by Disqus
Randll Reese Besch - 8/5/2007
From the description Mr. Kubrick may have suffered from Asperger's Syndrome which in the more drastic types produce people who are "cold,analytical and distant." even to a mechanical type of inflectionless speech. Without proper emotional responces the Asperger person comes off as unemotional,and strange. Mental capabilities are normal or enhanced. They have few friends.
- The original Watergate lock that burglars picked open is going to auction
- Trump, Mueller And The Ancient History Of Grants Of Immunity
- Documents show Gorbachev was assured US wouldn't expand NATO into Central and Eastern Europe
- Memorial to honor 4,000 victims of lynching to be built in Montgomery, Alabama
- Study: Inequality is a phenomenon of the past 10,000 years
- Gil Troy back’s Trump decision on Jerusalem
- College Board revises AP European history test in response to criticism by conservatives
- AHA says it’s feasible to stop the proposed tax on grad student tuition waivers
- Rashid Khalidi opposes Trump decision on Jerusalem
- Daniel Pipes backs Trump decision on Jerusalem