Stanley Kubrick--Intellectual showmanRoundup: Pop Culture & the Arts ... Movies, Documentaries and Museum Exhibits
Belying the warm sentiments, the performance was oddly mechanical, but also familiar. The flat tonality, the affectless immobility, and the oracular manner of the bearded old man with the bald dome might have been a computer-generated talking head — were not computer animation more expressive and lifelike in the age of digital graphics. The thought calls up the obvious association: HAL 9000, an older computer model from 2001 (the movie, not the year).
Stanley Kubrick always did come off as a cold fish — sterile, analytical, reclusive, an artist drawn to icy prehistoric worlds. "The last of the cold modernists," quipped the film scholar James Naremore during a panel devoted to Kubrick at this year's annual conference of the Society for Cinema and Media Studies. "A cold bastard," said the actor-producer Kirk Douglas. Even the name for his acolytes — Kubrickians — sounds hard-edged....
comments powered by Disqus
Randll Reese Besch - 8/5/2007
From the description Mr. Kubrick may have suffered from Asperger's Syndrome which in the more drastic types produce people who are "cold,analytical and distant." even to a mechanical type of inflectionless speech. Without proper emotional responces the Asperger person comes off as unemotional,and strange. Mental capabilities are normal or enhanced. They have few friends.
- Donald Trump Is Wrong on Mosul Attack, Military Experts Say
- Emmett Till memorial sign is riddled with bullet holes and has been repeatedly vandalized
- Posthumous pardons law may see Oscar Wilde exonerated
- Has an Election Ever Been Rigged in U.S. History?
- A short history of white people rigging elections
- Steven Runciman — historian, tease and professional enigma — is the subject of a biography
- Historian Eric Foner: Trump is Logical Conclusion of What the GOP Has Been Doing for Decades
- Ken Burns developing 'The Gene' based on Mukherjee's bestseller
- Does the 'Father' of the 1948 Ethnic Cleansing Narrative Really Want to Recant His Words?
- Max Boot wants to know “what the hell happened to my Republican Party?"