Civil War Reenactors Live To Fight Old BattlesBreaking News
"Because they can't," says Ray Wetzel, 55, a resident of Hanover, Pa., and member of the 13th Pennsylvania Reserves, a reenactment unit that portrays those Union infantrymen. He's referring to the hundreds of thousands who served and died during the Civil War. They're not around to remind us, Wetzel says, but he is.
And so are hundreds of other reenactors in the District, Maryland and Virginia, especially now that we're in the thick of reenactment season in an area swollen with Civil War battlefields. More than 3,000 reenactors will invade south central Pennsylvania on Friday for the Annual Gettysburg Civil War Battle Reenactment, just as 80 reenactors did in Westminster, Md., last weekend for a commemoration of Corbit's Charge, one of the small but consequential conflicts that paved the way for that tide-turning battle.
comments powered by Disqus
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Transcribed Document: Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity