Reporter's Notebook: Highlights from the 2007 OAH Convention: Day 4Historians/History
- OAH 2007: Day 1
- OAH 2007: Day 2
- OAH 2007: Day 3
- OAH 2007: Day 4
- Index: OAH 2007 HNN Videos & Podcasts
- Past OAH & AHA Conventions
Day 4: Sunday, April 1, 2007
As historians scurried to make their flights out of town to attend a final Sunday session one mystery lingered.
Just what did this sign, posted at the exit of the convention center, mean?
Ok, maybe a reminder was in order so we wouldn't foolishly walk around the streets of Minneapolis wearing our name tags. But this seemed almost like it was a requirement. And that didn't make much sense.
Two panels caught the attention of HNN this day.
The first focused on Robert Toplin's book, Michael Moore's Farenheit 9/11: How One Film Divided a Nation. Was the film propaganda, as the right charged? It was answered both Toplin and Douglas Brinkley. But, so what? He was an artist not a historian. And anyway, he was more right about the Bush administration than his critics. Here's Brinkley's take.
Meeting a little later, in the final hours of the conference, was a panel on "The United States and the Middle East." Ohio State University's Peter Hahn identified three controversies that have come to define the debate over Israel.
And so the conference ended.
Yesterday we promised to present two more clips from the talks prepared by past presidents of the OAH.
Here's David Montgomery's (1999-2000):
And here's Mary Frances Berry's (1990-1991):
And that is that.
comments powered by Disqus
HNN - 4/2/2007
Alonzo Hamby - 4/2/2007
Thanks for your usual great job!
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity