David Irving says there were never gas chambers at AuschwitzHistorians in the News
Irving, whose comments during an interview with Italy's Sky TG24 News were immediately picked up by Italian news agencies, said there was no doubt the Nazis killed millions of Jews, but said the killings did not take place at Auschwitz.
"At Auschwitz they did not have gas chambers, or at least there is no proof that I am satisfied with," Irving told the news channel's program, "Controcorrente." Irving spoke in English, but his comments were translated by a voiceover.
Irving was sentenced in February 2006 to three years under a 1992 Austrian law that applies to "whoever denies, grossly plays down, approves or tries to excuse" the Nazi genocide or other Nazi crimes against humanity in a print publication, broadcast or other media.
comments powered by Disqus
Alan Heath - 3/30/2007
I was with both Andrea Casadio of Sky TG24 and David Irving for most of his visit at the former Nazi death camp of Auschwitz. He very clearly accepts that there were homicidal gas chambers in Auschwitz although he questioned what happened at Krematorium 2 which was the largest gas chamber.
Of course I accept that he may have said "At Auschwitz they did not have gas chambers, or at least there is no proof that I am satisfied with,' when he was not in my presence.
Neal Jackson - 3/25/2007
Was it a mantra of both Goebbels and Lenin that if you repeat a lie often enough it becomes a truth? Only the lie oft repeated, and here again, is that David Irving denies the Jewish Holocaust. As far as I know he never has. He has sometimes questioned the evidence, or lack thereof, for the mass extermination of Jews by gassing (specifically) at Auschwitz; that, in and of itself, is not Holocaust denial. "...the (possibility of a different) truth is the greatest enemy of the...?"
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Humans Hard-Wired to Teach, Anthropologist Says
- Parents outraged after students shown ‘white guilt’ cartoon for Black History Month
- Maryland is once again considering retiring its state song
- One of the last remaining Nazis goes on trial in Germany
- Inside story finally told of the young US diplomat who cracked the case of the murder of 4 nuns in El Salvador in 1980
- Historian at the center of Sanders-Clinton debate
- James Loewen Says Additional Baltimore Confederate Statues Should be Removed
- NYT History Book Reviews: Who Got Noticed this Week?
- A historian’s advice to students thinking of getting a PhD in a tough economic climate
- German historian Heinz Richter cleared of charges