France's Louvre Museum Joined the "History-Distortion Business Club"Breaking News
Kargar noted that French archeologists became pioneers of excavations in Iran after reaching an agreement with the Qajar dynasty (1787-1921 AD). However, after the 1979 revolution in Iran, they began working in Iran's neighboring countries, particularly newly formed Arab states, which provided appropriate financial opportunities, he added.
The money the Arabs spent to pay the archeological mercenaries created some expectations, one of them being the alteration of the name of the Persian Gulf, he explained.
"Most important research centers in the heart of Paris are run by France and Saudi Arabia. Several months ago, Paris played host to an exhibition of Arab civilization, which was opened by Jacques Chirac and King Abdullah of Jordan," he explained. Contradictory but not so surprisingly despite the fact that the exhibition was called "Arab civilization", majority of artifacts on show were Persian.
comments powered by Disqus
Richard Andrew Kane - 12/21/2006
When I lived in Saudi Arabia in the 1980s newspapers and maps always referred to the Persian Guld as Arabian Gulf. But the maps showed the area south of Lebanon as Palestine. Occasionally there was a hint of a Zionist entity somewhere nearby but the name Israel never appeared.
During the first Gulf War coallition forces were hosted in Saudi Arabia until Kuwait was freed. All the TV coverage had TV commentators including the US Military officers speaking only of the Persian Gulf, and that is the name on their maps. The Saudis continually protested that it was Arabian Gulf and it people could not learn that they should leave Saudi immediately. They never did.
Discussion of any political matter in the Middle East is like science fiction: it requires a suspension of reality to use the right code words.
All of this would be just funny if the strident Iranian article did not allude to the territory of the Gulf states as being Persian (i.e.Iranian) soil. Is the present Iranian regime teaching the young that they rightfully claim land now occupied by other states? This would be the seed of a future war....or perhaps a later stage of the war Bush 43 has ignited.
- Did Salmonella Kill Off the Aztecs?
- Jewish history is under siege in the middle east and these volunteers are risking their lives to protect it
- 'Amazon should stop selling Holocaust denial books'
- National Museum of African American History and Culture Reaches Milestone of 1 Million Visitors
- What Makes a President Great? Clipping? Sipping? Slashing?
- McMaster knows how national security policy can go wrong. Will that help him?
- Historian and Antiwar Activist Marilyn Young Dies at 79
- Trump Chooses Historian H.R. McMaster as National Security Adviser
- Holocaust Historian Deborah Lipstadt Explains Why People Believe Trump's Lies
- Princeton’s Harold James warns World War Three is now a "serious threat”