Creation vs. Darwin takes Muslim twist in TurkeyBreaking News
Arriving unsolicited by post, the large-format tome offers 768 glossy pages of photographs and easy-to-read text to prove that God created the world with all its species.
At first sight, it looks like it could be the work of United States creationists, the Christian fundamentalists who believe the world was created in six days as told in the Bible.
But the author's name, Harun Yahya, reveals the surprise inside. This is Islamic creationism, a richly funded movement based in predominantly Muslim Turkey which has an influence U.S. creationists could only dream of.
comments powered by Disqus
Paul Barry Weinstein - 11/24/2006
I was raised within the—or at least, a— Jewish tradition that did not disparage evolution and sought a synthesis between scientific facts and religious belief. Please don't paint all religion with the same brush.
But I doubt Ms. Cara is open to reason.
Jonathan Dresner - 11/23/2006
Complexity and information in the entire universe gives no pass to an imaginary agent like coincidence.
But an imaginary agent like God works just fine? There's a lot more evidence for accidental order and complexity than there is for the divine.
Lucky are the ones who are not deceived with this fairy tale.
From your mouth to .... oh, wait. You meant evolution? How do you feel about antibiotics?
Celine Cara - 11/23/2006
It is a clear fact, but this Atlas of Creation has had great influence in Turkey. Since evolution is exactly a fairy tale that tells the story of apples turning into grapes or bacteria turning into giraffes or whales, it has found no grounds in countries such as the US, Turkey or elsewhere. Darwin was himself in doubt and wrote a passage including "Difficulties with his theory" that reflects his confessions. Complexity and information in the entire universe gives no pass to an imaginary agent like coincidence. God is the only Creator of all as accepted by divine religions such as Islam, Christianity and Judaism. Lucky are the ones who are not deceived with this fairy tale. All the best ragards.
caliibre caliibre - 11/23/2006
Why can “Creationists” &/or “Intelligent Design” advocates ‘solve’ Sudoku Number Puzzles so quickly? THEY JUST PUT A “G” IN ALL THE EMPTY SQUARES; it’s just a matter of faith you know! It’s the same method creationists resort to in trying to prove their unsustainable “intelligent design theory”. They just assume all gaps in current understanding and/or knowledge regarding evolution must be filled with a (G=god) solution. Saves them having to think and question I suppose; blind faith, a refuge for the feeble-minded!
- Snopes debunks slavery Internet meme
- Revamped Chinese History Journal Welcomes Hard-Line Writers
- Poll: 3 Out of 5 Texan Trump Supporters Want Secession if Hillary Clinton Is Elected
- The Psychiatric Question: Is It Fair to Analyze Donald Trump From Afar?
- Minorities still feel Eugene, Oregon’s historical link to the Ku Klux Klan
- Ernst Nolte, Historian Whose Views on Hitler Caused an Uproar, Dies at 93
- Japan should give formal apology for wartime aggression, says historian
- Historian Benjamin Madley says what whites did to Indians in the 19th century in California was genocide.
- Kevin Baker says America needs to bring back political machines
- Covell Meyskens uses his blog to show what life was like under Mao. (Interview)