Historic security papers to be released (Ireland)
In its interim report released yesterday, the Justice Archives Advisory Group concluded that the documents should be transferred over the next 12 months to the National Archives, where they can be made available for unrestricted access. The group, which includes a number of eminent historians, was appointed by Minister for Justice Michael McDowell last February to advise the department on the historical value of its archive of national security records. This comprises records in its possession or under its control and which are more than 30 years old.
It was also asked to advise the department on the arrangements it could put in place to make these records available for research purposes.
The eight-member group was chaired by Prof Mary Daly of the College of Arts and Celtic Studies at UCD.
Its principal recommendation is for the transfer of these records to the National Archives, in stages over the next 12 months.
Mr McDowell yesterday congratulated the group on its work, noting that the interim report dealt with records held by the department relating to security and Northern Ireland matters from the foundation of the State up to 1956.
"By any standards this archive represents a veritable treasure trove of material from the perspective of Irish historians," Mr McDowell said.
"The Department of Justice has long been stereotyped as a secretive and closed institution. In fact my initiative to open up the records to public access has been strongly supported by the senior officials in the department and it is gratifying that the group's conclusions have vindicated and confirmed my own view, and that of my officials, as to the historical value and significance of this archive," he said.
As a result of the initiative, "several new chapters of Ireland's 'secret history' in the twentieth century will now be put before the Irish people", Mr McDowell added.
comments powered by Disqus
- Could another English king be buried under a parking lot?
- Huckabee says archaeology supports the Bible
- George W. Bush's CIA Briefer: Bush and Cheney Falsely Presented WMD Intelligence to Public
- Unfinished film about the Holocaust made in 1945 to finally be seen by audiences
- Two-Thirds of European Men Descend From Three People
- Daniel Pipes calls the rulers of Iran "madmen" on official Iranian TV
- A Professor Tries to Beat Back a News Spoof That Won’t Go Away
- NYT History Book Reviews: Who Got Noticed this Week?
- Sean Wilentz is being called “Hillary’s Historian"
- Hundreds of British historians challenge assumptions of “Historians for Britain” campaign