Bernard Lewis: Is he serious?
There is a radical difference between the Islamic Republic of Iran and other governments with nuclear weapons. This difference is expressed in what can only be described as the apocalyptic worldview of Iran's present rulers. This worldview and expectation, vividly expressed in speeches, articles and even schoolbooks, clearly shape the perception and therefore the policies of Ahmadinejad and his disciples.The goverment, Lewis contends, is in the hands of religious nuts who preach a unique brand of eschatology. Oh wait. Wrong goverment.
comments powered by Disqus
Juan Antonio Hervada Gim?nez - 8/16/2006
As an argument to refute Mr. Lewis' analysis, yours appears more than a bit flimsy.
I witnesed the Iranian revolution back in 79 and since then I have been several times in Iran. I may disagree with a number of Mr. Lewis' appreciations on the Islamic world, but on this one I have to agree that he's got it quite right.
- German Historian: Rich Greeks Evade Taxes Since 1830
- UK teaching "invented" history as EU propaganda, says Cambridge professor
- The move accelerates to show that black people have a history
- Eric Foner says he insisted on his MOOC on the Civil War being free
- Ellen Schrecker backs “National Adjunct Walkout Day” as a brilliant tactic