Thieves steal medals awarded to famous Indian Civil War heroBreaking News
The medals were awarded after the war to Union officer Ely Parker, the son of an Iroquois chief who became General Ulysses S. Grant's right-hand man during the war.
Officials at the Niagara County Historical Society say the medals were stolen late Saturday afternoon from a Civil War display in one of the organization's buildings in Lockport. The head of the historical society says the items are "extremely valuable."
Parker was told he couldn't join the Union Army because he was an American Indian. Grant, his lifelong friend, intervened on his behalf and Parker rose to the rank of lieutenant colonel.
comments powered by Disqus
Vernon Clayson - 8/14/2006
Mr. Besch, let's say you are right that more whites are on welfare. That would be merely because there are more whites, check out percentages and let us know how that works out. By the way it's the same for prison inmates. But this isn't about blacks, my point is that Indians are the forgotten and neglected minority and few speak up for them and very few whine about their lot, pride enters into that equation.
Randll Reese Besch - 8/12/2006
Crypto racist & classist eh? Did you know that the majority that are on welfare are white!
A part of history that should be recorded,never-the-less. Contributions of those not 'white'.
Vernon Clayson - 8/9/2006
Again, there will be few, if any other, comments on this article, no one cares, except perhaps a few Indians. If the articles were stolen from any other minority or religious quack, the comments would go to double figures before the day is over. More concern would be shown if a black welfare recipient misplaced or lost her welfare check.
- New book says amount of mustard gas exposure in World War II may be higher than acknowledged by government
- Canada’s Secret to Resisting the West’s Populist Wave
- Trump’s travel ban is built on a law meant to ‘protect’ the U.S. from Jews and communists
- The Time to Retrieve Time’s Time Capsule Is at Hand
- Manassas church opens restored slave cabin to the public
- John B. Boles wants students to know more about Jefferson than that he was a slaveholder
- Historian Daniel K. Williams says Democrats have a religion problem
- Bill O’Reilly – America’s best-selling “historian” – ridiculed in Harper’s for writing bad history
- Largest history festival is the UK criticized for being white and male
- Eric Foner doesn’t think much of a book that claims Lincoln moved slowly to emancipate blacks because he was a racist