N.C. celebrates confederate flagBreaking News
Not everyone wants the heritage to be remembered as something to be proud of, though.
The Charlotte News & Observer reports hundreds crowded the state House chamber Saturday, sang "Dixie" and saluted the flag -- along with a Civil War-era state flag and the current U.S. flag.
The event -- which the newspaper described as all-white -- was sponsored by the N.C. Division of the Sons of Confederate Veterans.
Many Americans, black and white, see a link between the confederate flag and a pro-slavery, Jim Crow, white supremacy attitude, the newspaper said, but the flag is still honored in the south.
University of South Carolina history professor Clyde Wilson said the response to the confederate flag is only a mask for a hatred for the South.
comments powered by Disqus
John J Capozucca - 3/9/2006
Who would one expect at an event sponsored by the N.C. Division of the Sons of Confederate Veterans who are celebrating the confederate flag--the NAACP? Is a politically incorrect "all white event" a crime as implied? I celebrate the flag because of my heritage and nothing more. And all the fascist politically correct and absurd propaganda about how "many Americans...see a link between the Confederate flag and a pro-slavery, Jim Crow, white supremacy attitude..." will not change this fact.
- Did Salmonella Kill Off the Aztecs?
- Jewish history is under siege in the middle east and these volunteers are risking their lives to protect it
- 'Amazon should stop selling Holocaust denial books'
- National Museum of African American History and Culture Reaches Milestone of 1 Million Visitors
- What Makes a President Great? Clipping? Sipping? Slashing?
- McMaster knows how national security policy can go wrong. Will that help him?
- Historian and Antiwar Activist Marilyn Young Dies at 79
- Trump Chooses Historian H.R. McMaster as National Security Adviser
- Holocaust Historian Deborah Lipstadt Explains Why People Believe Trump's Lies
- Princeton’s Harold James warns World War Three is now a "serious threat”