Irving says he has no choice but to admit charges of Holocaust denialBreaking News
"Under the law I've got no alternative,'' he told the television channel More4 News.
But he added: "I deny that I'm a Holocaust denier. This is a filthy smear.''
The charges date back to 1989, when the Right-wing author of books such as Hitler's War gave speeches in Vienna and Leoben in which he disputed the existence of the gas chambers in Nazi concentration camps. Under Austrian law, denying the Holocaust is illegal and punishable with a prison sentence of up to 10 years.
Mr Irving said he had been labelled a Holocaust denier by Austrian and German journalists and deliberately misunderstood. "It means they've not read anything I've written since the actual offence was committed, which is 1989 - 17 years ago,'' he said.
"If they read that, they'll see I describe in great detail what Hitler and his troops were doing to the Jews behind the Eastern front ... I'm very angry indeed about it.''
Mr Irving was arrested in Austria in November, where he was to give a lecture to a Right-wing student fraternity.
He accused Austria of acting like a "Nazi state'' for allegedly burning books of his that the authorities found - to their embarrassment - in the prison library.
Mr Irving, who lives in London and Florida, said his lawyer had advised him to plead guity.
Mr Irving lost a high-profile court case in London in 2000 in which he sued the US academic Deborah Lipstadt for calling him a Holocaust denier. The judge described him as a "falsifier of history''.
comments powered by Disqus
- Donald Trump Is Wrong on Mosul Attack, Military Experts Say
- Emmett Till memorial sign is riddled with bullet holes and has been repeatedly vandalized
- Posthumous pardons law may see Oscar Wilde exonerated
- Has an Election Ever Been Rigged in U.S. History?
- A short history of white people rigging elections
- Steven Runciman — historian, tease and professional enigma — is the subject of a biography
- Historian Eric Foner: Trump is Logical Conclusion of What the GOP Has Been Doing for Decades
- Ken Burns developing 'The Gene' based on Mukherjee's bestseller
- Does the 'Father' of the 1948 Ethnic Cleansing Narrative Really Want to Recant His Words?
- Max Boot wants to know “what the hell happened to my Republican Party?"