1916 Conference Told Invasion of Ireland Was ConsideredBreaking News
"As various diplomatic and military archives located in Berlin, Brussels, Freiburg, Paris, Rome and Vienna reveal, continental Europe was much interested in Ireland. By occupying her they believed that the British would have to surrender. Kaiser Wilhelm II of Germany was closely following the Irish crisis. He became more and more frustrated by Britain's attitude towards Germany and more and more aggressive in his comments regarding Ireland."
The Kaiser was personally informed of events in Ireland by Dr Theodor Schiemann, a historian with Irish-American contacts.
When, in September 1912, the chargé d'affaires of the German embassy in London suggested that the Home Rule crisis "would weaken England as a world power because of the influence the Irish exercise in America", the Kaiser wrote in the margin: "That would be a great boon".
comments powered by Disqus
Jorn Barger - 2/2/2006
"The cry of a solitary Frenchman (A bas l'Angleterre!) at a Celtic re-union in Paris would be made by these enthusiasts the subject of a leading article in which would be shown the imminence of aid for Ireland from the French Government."
Jorn Barger - 2/1/2006
Joyce mentions in either "Portrait" or "Stephen Hero" (or maybe somewhere more obscure) that an Irish nationalist in Paris had sent reports about this. (Joyce thought it absurd.)
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Transcribed Document: Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity