William R. Hutchison: Dies at age 75Historians in the News
At the time of his death, Dr. Hutchison was Charles Warren research professor of American religious history at Harvard Divinity School.
Dr. Hutchison was `'the dean of American religious historians," David Hollinger, chairman of the history department at the University of California, Berkeley, said yesterday.
He was the author of several books, including The Transcendentalist Ministers: Church Reform in the New England Renaissance, The Modernist Impulse in American Protestantism , and Religious Pluralism in America: The Contentious History of a Founding Ideal.
[Editor: Mr. Hutchison labored in recent months over an article for HNN. We published it just two weeks ago.]
The following notice appeared in the Boston Globe on 12-20-05:
William Hutchison: Of Cambridge, MA, died of cancer on December 16. Born in San Francisco, CA on May 21, 1930. Hutchison was a professor at Harvard Divinity School for 32 years and authored numerous important works on American religious history. He leaves his beloved wife Virginia (Quay); four children: Joseph of Ridgefield CT, Catherine Winnie, of Rochester NY, Margaret of Berkeley CA, and Elizabeth of Albuquerque NM; 10 grandchildren; and a sister, Mary Fletcher of FL. Memorial services will be held at Cambridge Friends Meeting, 5 Longfellow Park, on January 21 at 2 PM and at Memorial Church, Harvard University, on April 28. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to the William R. Hutchison Fund, which supports doctoral students in religion at Harvard University. (Checks should be made out to Harvard University, and mailed to the William R. Hutchison Fund, Office of Development and External Relations, Harvard Divinity School, 45 Francis Ave., Cambridge, MA 02138.) Arrangements handled by the Rogers Funeral Home, CAMBRIDGE.
comments powered by Disqus
- Children should be taught about suffering under the British Empire, Jeremy Corbyn says
- Collateral damage: A brief history of U.S. mistakes at war
- East Germany's secrets are slowly being revealed
- William Buckley's FBI files released
- Graphic of the Week: Browse An Archive of 170,000 Depression-Era Photos
- Daniel Pipes says we should be worried that immigrants don’t share western values
- Nobel Prize in Literature Awarded to journalist Svetlana Alexievich
- Niall Ferguson leaving Harvard for Stanford
- Integration Of Cheerleaders Was Difficult To Achieve
- New-York Historical Society to Open Women’s History Center