Rabula Gospels, the first dated Christian manuscript, was repaintedBreaking News
The oversized book, originally produced in a Syrian monastery, includes the first dated pictorial representation of the Crucifixion. Tests revealed, among other things, that in the repainting, Jesus's curly red hair was restyled as black and straight. The findings were presented at a conference this month at the Max Planck Institute organized by Gerhard Wolf, director of the Kunsthistorisches Institut in Florence, and Massimo Bernabò, who teaches at the University of Pavia, in Italy. Mr. Bernabò said the discovery would force scholars to re-evaluate this significant monument of early Christian art and subsequent attitudes toward it.
comments powered by Disqus
- Norma Basch, pioneer in legal history, has died
- National History Day Helps 600,000 Kids Bring the Past to Life
- Finally some good news for history grads
- Historians issue statement in support of European migrants
- Conservative historian Arthur Herman slammed for saying Obama is highly submissive to Putin and other strong leaders