Petition to release German Archaeologist in IraqBreaking News
"We, the undersigned cultural organizations, are deeply concerned about the safety of Susanne Osthoff and her escort, and we appeal for Susanne’s swift release so that she may be reunited with her family. An archaeologist and humanitarian aid worker, Susanne has worked tirelessly for many years to aid the Iraqi people and to preserve the cultural treasures of Iraq for all Iraqis. She is truly a friend to all the people of Iraq. We appeal to those holding Susanne for her safe release, and for the safe release of her escort, and trust that you will return them to their families who love them."
The statement was signed by: "World Archaeological Congress ... Society for American Archaeology ... Archaeological Institute of America[,] Archaeologists for Human Rights ... Register of Professional Archaeologists ... Lawyers’ Committee for Cultural Heritage Preservation[,] Global Heritage Fund ... Society for Historical Archaeology ... Saving Antiquities for Everyone – SAFE ... ICON – World Monuments Fund ... American Academic Research Institute in Iraq ..." (see: http://www.archaeos.org/iwa)
Meanwhile, the British Archaeological Jobs Resource is circulating a petition.
comments powered by Disqus
- Bozeman schools prefer kids in class on MLK Day
- Universities across the country are facing up to their past association with slavery
- Trump Budget Proposes Devastating Cuts to Federal History, Archival & Education Programs
- Alabama governor signs law giving thousands of felons their right to vote back
- Jerusalem Post recalls history of the Six-Day War
- Historian David Kaiser says the most exciting day of his life was JFK’s election
- Michael Bliss, Historian Who Dispelled Myths of Insulin’s Discovery, Dies at 76
- Jill Lepore: Americans Aren't Just Divided Politically, They're Divided Over History Too
- AHA joins protest of Trump’s plan for drastic cuts to the NEH
- Diane Ravitch says the Democrats paved the way for the education secretary's efforts to privatize our public schools