Petition to release German Archaeologist in IraqBreaking News
"We, the undersigned cultural organizations, are deeply concerned about the safety of Susanne Osthoff and her escort, and we appeal for Susanne’s swift release so that she may be reunited with her family. An archaeologist and humanitarian aid worker, Susanne has worked tirelessly for many years to aid the Iraqi people and to preserve the cultural treasures of Iraq for all Iraqis. She is truly a friend to all the people of Iraq. We appeal to those holding Susanne for her safe release, and for the safe release of her escort, and trust that you will return them to their families who love them."
The statement was signed by: "World Archaeological Congress ... Society for American Archaeology ... Archaeological Institute of America[,] Archaeologists for Human Rights ... Register of Professional Archaeologists ... Lawyers’ Committee for Cultural Heritage Preservation[,] Global Heritage Fund ... Society for Historical Archaeology ... Saving Antiquities for Everyone – SAFE ... ICON – World Monuments Fund ... American Academic Research Institute in Iraq ..." (see: http://www.archaeos.org/iwa)
Meanwhile, the British Archaeological Jobs Resource is circulating a petition.
comments powered by Disqus
- The Anthropocene epoch: scientists declare dawn of human-influenced age
- ‘No Vacancies’ for Blacks: How Donald Trump Got His Start, and Was First Accused of Bias
- New Yorker profiles activist who's drawing attention to lynchings
- Wisconsin GOP senator wants to replace history professors with Ken Burns videos
- UT removes Confederate inscription that it previously said would stay
- NYT publishes historians' plea for the revival of political history
- Some Ohio University professors ditch the textbooks, and the prices
- Renowned Israeli Holocaust Historian: ‘If I Were a British Jew, I’d Be Worried’
- Heather Ann Thompson pries loose the long-kept secrets of Attica in her new book
- Lonnie Bunch remembers his first day on the job as director of the new black history museum