5 columnists face prison in Turkey over Armenian genocide conferenceBreaking News
The conference, blocked by a court in May and again in September, was held on Sept. 24 after organizers changed its location. The journalists, Ismet Berkan, Murat Belge and Haluk Sahin of the liberal newspaper Radikal, and Hasan Cemal and Erol Katircioglu of the center-right newspaper Milliyet, were charged with "influencing judicial procedures" and "publicly insulting members of the judiciary." They face up to 10 years in prison. A court hearing is expected on Feb. 7.
comments powered by Disqus
- National Book Award semifinalist Heather Ann Thompson says the war on crime started with LBJ
- Pittsburgh native David McCullough's next book will focus on generations of Northwest pioneers
- British historian Sheila Lecoeur is on trial for defamation
- Jim Downs laments that Americans still aren’t being taught LGBT history
- Historian Jeremy Kuzmarov calls on Obama to pardon Ethel Rosenberg