Ancient Lighthouse and Seventh Wonder is found in harbourBreaking News
The Alexandria Lighthouse was built in around 270BC by the Greek architect Sostratus and was then one of the tallest buildings in the world, with three layered towers at a height of 440ft. The first lighthouse in the world, it survived until an earthquake in the 14th century and was destroyed over an 800sq-metre area in the port. The city, founded by Alexander the Great in 332BC, was one of the greatest in antiquity and its lighthouse was said to have a statue of the God Poseidon and a bronze dish with coals that illuminated up to 100km away.
comments powered by Disqus
- Historian David Kaiser says the most exciting day of his life was JFK’s election
- Michael Bliss, Historian Who Dispelled Myths of Insulin’s Discovery, Dies at 76
- Jill Lepore: Americans Aren't Just Divided Politically, They're Divided Over History Too
- AHA joins protest of Trump’s plan for drastic cuts to the NEH
- Diane Ravitch says the Democrats paved the way for the education secretary's efforts to privatize our public schools