Ancient Lighthouse and Seventh Wonder is found in harbourBreaking News
The Alexandria Lighthouse was built in around 270BC by the Greek architect Sostratus and was then one of the tallest buildings in the world, with three layered towers at a height of 440ft. The first lighthouse in the world, it survived until an earthquake in the 14th century and was destroyed over an 800sq-metre area in the port. The city, founded by Alexander the Great in 332BC, was one of the greatest in antiquity and its lighthouse was said to have a statue of the God Poseidon and a bronze dish with coals that illuminated up to 100km away.
comments powered by Disqus
- Trump visits the National Museum of African American History and Culture
- New Book Says Bob Woodward Burned Hillary Clinton’s Ghostwriter
- For decades they hid Jefferson’s relationship with her. Now Monticello is making room for Sally Hemings.
- In a Walt Whitman Novel, Lost for 165 Years, Clues to ‘Leaves of Grass’
- Veteran Congressman Still Pushing for Reparations in a Divided America
- Trump Chooses Historian H.R. McMaster as National Security Adviser
- Holocaust Historian Deborah Lipstadt Explains Why People Believe Trump's Lies
- Princeton’s Harold James warns World War Three is now a "serious threat”
- Israeli schools' history lessons create good soldiers, says pundit
- Yuval Noah Harari foresees a god-like future for humans