Alito's missing senior thesis at Princeton recoveredBreaking News
Walter Murphy, the McCormick Professor in Jurisprudence Emeritus, sent a copy of the thesis, which concerned the Italy's highest court, to the University's Mudd Manuscript Library. The document's preface was made available Monday night, and the full 134-page document will be available today.
Murphy was first quoted as saying Alito opposes Roe v. Wade. Murphy now says he was misquoted.
In an interview with The Daily Princetonian on Monday, Murphy said that Alito's thesis was one of only about a half-dozen he kept over the years because of the quality of its scholarship.
"Sam just had to start from scratch," he said. "I remember [the thesis] was very good. I've used it over the years in my work."
Murphy, who has kept in touch with Alito over the years and has invited him to guest lecture in classes, also offered some impressions of Alito's stances on key judicial questions.
"He is much more an Anti-federalist where state and national authority clash, more libertarian on issues such as gun control, and much tighter on some matters as the rights of the criminally accused than I," Murphy said in an earlier email message.
"We, however, agree on other important issues, such as finding no constitutional barrier to bans on late term abortions and requiring spousal and parental notification of impending abortions."
comments powered by Disqus
- Previously untouched 600BC palace discovered under shrine demolished by Isil in Mosul
- Slate reveals that despite our apology, nothing’s been done to help Guatemalans infected in an experiment worse than Tuskegee
- Russian government website notes that game maker has sent “Secret Hitler” to every US senator
- Scholars debate the future of NATO
- Trump, Putin, and the New Cold War
- James Oliver Horton remembered as a pioneer for African American research
- Theodore Lowi, Zealous Scholar of Presidents and Liberalism, Dies at 85
- What LT. Gen. H.R. McMaster will offer as new national security adviser
- Fareed Zakaria hails historian Nigel Hamilton’s series as the memoir FDR never had the opportunity to write
- French Historian Says He Was Threatened With Deportation at Houston Airport