The Official Reprimand of Brian VanDeMarkHistorians/History
Naval Academy Holds Faculty Member Accountable for Plagiarism
The United States Naval Academy has the highest standards to promote personal integrity and honorable conduct amongst its faculty, staff and midshipmen. Our goal is to uphold these standards through strict accountability and an established process addressing the integrity of faculty research and scholarly activity.
Accordingly, we completed a thorough inquiry into the allegations of plagiarism
concerning Associate Professor Brian VanDeMark's proposed book "Pandora's
Keepers: Nine Men and the Atomic Bomb". The Academy confirmed that
the proposed book included a number of instances
of improper borrowing and inadequate paraphrasing and that these improprieties constituted plagiarism. The Naval Academy deems this offense very serious, unacceptable and inconsistent with our high standards.
Our inquiry concluded that the plagiarism constituted gross carelessness by
Professor VanDeMark in adhering to our standards but did not constitute a deliberate
effort to pass off the works of other authors as his own. Professor VanDeMark's
willingness to withdraw his book from publication, and his immediate apologies
to the Naval Academy, and to the individual authors whose works were misused,
demonstrate his own realization of the seriousness of the
The Naval Academy holds our people accountable for their actions. We are taking, effective immediately, the following actions against Professor VanDeMark:
*Reduction in rank: Prof VanDeMark is reduced in rank from associate professor to entry-level assistant professor.
*Reduction in pay: Prof VanDeMark's annual rate of pay is reduced by more than $10,000. Subsequently, this rate of pay win be considered his new baseline in any consideration of a future year pay increase.
*Loss of tenure: Prof VanDeMark loses his tenured position on the USNA faculty
and he is in a probationary status for at least three years. During the probationary
period. Prof VanDeMark will be required to re-establish his professional qualifications
as a fully
contributing member of the USNA faculty.
*Rectification: In addition, Prof VanDeMark will rectify all instances of improper use of other people's material before Pandora's Keepers is placed on the market.
The Academy demands the highest standards of integrity and conduct from our faculty, staff and midshipmen. The disciplinary action taken in this particular case reflect the nature and seriousness of the offense, and any mitigating circumstances. We consider the action we have taken to be fair, appropriate and final.
comments powered by Disqus
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Transcribed Document: Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity