The State Of Columbus DayBreaking News
Columbus, Ohio, which once celebrated Christopher Columbus with a parade and fireworks, has more modest plans today.
Columbus, Ind., has none.
Columbus, N.D. -- population 100 -- says it's too small to throw a shindig.
Columbus, Pa., says the weather is usually too cold.
Does no Columbus celebrate the federal holiday anymore?
Actually, some do -- though not necessarily on Columbus Day itself.
Here's what our search for Columbus celebrations found (along with other interesting discoveries about towns that share a name with ours):
A mere day won't do it for this city of 21,000: It celebrates Columbus Days -- during the summer.
"We used to have our Columbus Days in October, but the weather is iffy, so we moved it to August," said Barbara Grachek, director of the convention and visitors bureau.
The four-day celebration features food, music and merchandise.
Every year, two distinguished residents are crowned King Ferdinand and Queen Isabella; they reign over the festivities.
The city has a bell tower, dedicated in 1992, that marks the 500th anniversary of the explorer's voyage to the New World.
By the way: Columbus, Neb., was named for Columbus, Ohio. It was founded in 1856 by several Ohioans seeking to cash in on the coming of the transcontinental railroad by planting a town along its route.
Possibly the oldest Columbus in the nation, this central New York town of about 800 was founded in 1805, says town historian Barbara Avery. (Columbus, Ohio, came along in 1812.)
No one knows whether the town was named for the explorer, but residents celebrate Columbus Day every year anyway. Christopher Columbus himself is usually not mentioned.
"It's just a get-together for townfolks," said farmer Don Johnson, who is coordinating the tractor pull.
This year's event was Saturday, when the town celebrated both Columbus Day and the bicentennial of its founding.
By the way: Columbus, in dairy country, once housed the world's largest cheese factory.
comments powered by Disqus
- Ben Carson defends linking gun control to the Holocaust
- Secret CIA Report: Pinochet "Personally Ordered" Washington Car-Bombing
- Mike Huckabee’s 1998 Book Is Full Of Fake Quotes From America’s Founders
- Children should be taught about suffering under the British Empire, Jeremy Corbyn says
- Collateral damage: A brief history of U.S. mistakes at war
- NYT History Book Reviews: Who Got Noticed this Week?
- NC student’s senior thesis selected as top paper sheds light on little-known victory over Jim Crow
- Historian Who Probed Austria’s Nazi Past Begins Sentence for Defrauding State
- Daniel Pipes says we should be worried that immigrants don’t share western values
- Nobel Prize in Literature Awarded to journalist Svetlana Alexievich