Congressional members attacked more than 21 times in American historyBreaking News
Congressional members have been attacked at least 21 other times since 1789, according to a report compiled in 2011 by the Congressional Research Service.
Here are details on many of those incidents:
Rep. Gabrielle Giffords was targeted in a shooting carried out by Jared Lee Loughner, a 22-year-old currently serving life in prison. The incident left six people dead, including John M. Roll, the chief justice for the U.S. District Court for Arizona and a 9-year-old girl, according to The New York Times’ report that day.
comments powered by Disqus
- Steve Bannon Vows ‘War’ on His Own Party. It Didn’t Work So Well for F.D.R.
- Tom Hanks: 'If you're concerned about what's going on today, read history'
- 9.7-million-year-old teeth discovery in Germany could re-write human history
- Charleston's International African American Museum's big plans
- What’s inside the secret JFK assassination files?
- Presidential historian Michael Beschloss explains the significance of yesterday’s Bush-Obama attack on Trump
- Russian minister keeps doctorate despite plagiarism claims
- Thomas Childers says we’ve got the Nazis wrong in 5 different ways
- National security expert Tom Nichols: “Hey, I’m unstable” is a bad look for the president
- Fake news? It’s nothing new, says Trinity College Dublin historian