Trump says “no politician in history … has been treated worse.” In reality, many have.Breaking News
Related Link John Fea on the origins of the term witch hunts
Poor Donald Trump. In the wake of reportedly blurting out highly classified intelligence to Russia and allegedly pressuring former FBI Director James Comey to drop an investigation into former National Security Adviser Michael Flynn before firing Comey, the president told Coast Guard graduates in a speech on Wednesday that “no politician in history — and I say this with great surety — has been treated worse or more unfairly.”
Besides the absurdity of bemoaning criticism after possibly compromising an ally’s sources and intel and potentially facing allegations of obstruction of justice, there’s another problem with Trump’s latest line: It’s not remotely accurate.
Politicians have been treated very badly and unfairly all throughout US and world history. Some politicians have even been killed for their views or actions, or solely because of their race, ethnicity, religion, or sex.
comments powered by Disqus
- Robert Dallek: “The fish rots from the head”
- It’s Been 3 Decades Since There Were So Few Jobs for History Ph.D.s
- Former Berkeley Chancellor Nicholas Dirks returns to campus as a member of the history department
- Conservatives attack Garry Wills’s book on the Quran
- The Scholars Behind the Quest for Reparations