Germany sued for reparations over colonial-era genocide in NamibiaBreaking News
tags: Germany, genocide, Namibia
Germany is facing a court case in the US and demands for reparations over a forgotten genocide in Africa that is seen as a precursor to the Holocaust.
Representatives of the Herero and Nama peoples have filed a class action lawsuit to demand reparations for the systematic massacre of some 100,000 of their forebears between 1904 and 1908.
The attempted extermination of Namibia’s Herero and Nama communities by German colonial troops is widely regaded as the first genocide of the 20th century.
comments powered by Disqus
- Before Ivanka Trump, other presidential daughters also wielded influence at the White House
- South Carolina Republican: scrap slave memorial if Confederate monument goes
- A 130,000-Year-Old Mastodon Threatens to Upend Human History
- Trump just promised the biggest tax cut in history
- An African Diaspora group at Columbia University draped a KKK hood over Thomas Jefferson
- Accused plagiarist Matthew Whitaker wins arbitration case against City of Phoenix over police contract
- Niall Ferguson says the liberal international order has passed its peak
- Nathaniel Philbrick wins the $50,000 2017 George Washington Prize
- In an interview Jill Lepore explains how she writes and the writers she admires most
- Trump is no Hitler – he’s a Mussolini, says Oxford historian