Princeton’s Kevin Kruse Calls 2016 Election Time of ‘Reckoning’ for Religious RightHistorians in the News
tags: election 2016, religious right
... Many powerful Evangelical leaders like Jerry Falwell Jr., the president of Liberty University, have vouched for Trump’s religious conviction, according to Kruse. They lent Trump their support and urged their followers to do the same. “This has been the difference maker I think,” Kruse said.
Kruse ended with a discussion of the growing division among Evangelical Protestants over the election. After a recording of Donald Trump bragging about sexually assaulting women surfaced this past month, many prominent Evangelical leaders who stood with Trump have rescinded their support.
“I previously called Donald Trump a good candidate with flaws. Now I regret I did not more strongly condemn his moral character. I cannot commend Trump’s moral character, and I strongly urge him now to withdraw from the election,” Kruse said, quoting Wayne Grudem — an Evangelical theologian.
According to Kruse, Beth Moore, a popular Evangelical author, called herself “one among many women sexually abused, misused, stared down, heckled, talked naughty to. Like we liked it. We didn’t. We’re tired of it.”
Finally Kruse quoted Jen Hatmaker — a prominent Evangelical lecturer. “This is disgusting. We will not forget. Nor will we forget the Christian leaders that betrayed their sisters in Christ for power.”
Based on the current trends in this election cycle, Kruse concluded that “tremendous change is upon us.”
“The old cross-denominational coalition of the religious right, one that had been in place since the 1970s has been deeply fragmented,” he said. ...
comments powered by Disqus
- Should Trump Be Impeached? What Founding Father James Madison Gave as Grounds for Impeachment.
- Long Lost Nordic Village Mysteriously Abandoned in the Middle Ages Rediscovered
- Holocaust Memorial Rebuilt Outside Far-Right Politician's House By German Activists
- Ratko Mladic Is Convicted in 1990s Slaughter of Bosnian Muslims
- Most Everything You Learned About Thanksgiving Is Wrong
- Is This Professor ‘Putin’s American Apologist’?
- Vietnam veterans challenge Ken Burns on the accuracy of his epic documentary
- OAH historians say events of the past year show they were right to emphasize freedom as the theme of the 2019 annual convention
- Why being a historian is about so much more than producing displays for museums
- Historian Says Textbooks Have Shaped Our Attitudes On Race