History chairs dismiss concerns over not requiring U.S. history courseHistorians in the News
A recent report criticizing the fact that most top colleges do not require students majoring in history to take a U.S. history class misses the mark, according to professors at some of the schools spotlighted in the report.
The scholars, in email interviews with The College Fix, said most students enroll in U.S. history classes regardless of whether it’s required, so handwringing over the lack of the requirement is moot.
“Almost all of our history majors love US history and take courses in it, so having a requirement would be a bit like requiring them to eat,” said Professor Dan Smail, chair of the Harvard University history department.
Likewise, History chair at Rice University Alida Metcalf said that “our history program is noted for excellence in American history, and our courses in U.S. history are popular…we believe that when students elect to take courses, rather than being required to do so, their motivation, interest, and creativity is heightened.”
The American Council of Trustees and Alumni found in its “No U.S. History? How College History Departments Leave the United States out of the Major” report that the lack of a thematic or chronological U.S. History course requirement among the nation’s top-ranked schools is “a truly breathtaking abandonment of intellectual standards and professional judgement.” ...
comments powered by Disqus
- Fake News and Fervent Nationalism Got a Senator Tarred as a Traitor During WWI
- Debunking Viral Story, Art Historian Says ‘Allah’ Does Not Appear on Ancient Viking Garment
- Will Trump Be Remembered as the Worst President in History? Almost Half Think So
- Thank This Man For Your Last-Minute Halloween Costume
- Letters from young Obama show a man trying to find his way
- Thomas Childers says we’ve got the Nazis wrong in 5 different ways
- National security expert Tom Nichols: “Hey, I’m unstable” is a bad look for the president
- Fake news? It’s nothing new, says Trinity College Dublin historian
- Historian discovers early Reformation writings “hiding in plain sight”
- Victor Davis Hanson says we shouldn’t be rushing to war with North Korea