Pro-Reagan Writer: GOP needs unity or will failBreaking News
tags: election 2016, GOP, GOP Convention
Let us recall the 1980 presidential election, when almost every one of Ronald Reagan’s primary opponents addressed the Republican National Convention in Detroit that year. These prime-time appearances helped produce a unified convention, a unified party and a mighty candidate who went on to score a historic victory that November, says Craig Shirley, a best-selling presidential historian and Reagan biographer.
Things don’t appear quite so convivial 36 years later.
“In 2016, few of Donald Trump’s primary opponents have or will address the Cleveland convention, thus potentially ensuring a divided party,” Mr. Shirley tells Inside the Beltway, adding that the absence of significant elected officials, plus “heavy-handed tactics used by the GOP establishment to quash any opposition to Trump” could prompt a divided convention.
“If we learn anything from history, it is that united conventions tend to win in the fall while divided conventions tend to lose in the fall. For the GOP, they were divided in 1964, 1976, 1992, 2008 and 2012. In each case, the GOP went on to lose in the fall. The Democrats, conversely, were divided in 1968, 1972, and 1980 and went on to lose that fall,” the historian continues."
comments powered by Disqus
- Did Squanto meet Pocahontas in London?
- Thanksgiving: Early Colonists Ate Turkey... But Also Horses, Rats And Snakes, Archaeologists Say
- Sources: McMaster Mocked Trump’s Intelligence at a Private Dinner
- The JFK assassination files lead back to Seattle
- Princeton investigates its connection to slavery at a two-day symposium
- OAH historians say events of the past year show they were right to emphasize freedom as the theme of the 2019 annual convention
- Why being a historian is about so much more than producing displays for museums
- Historian Says Textbooks Have Shaped Our Attitudes On Race
- Heather Ann Thompson says what went on at Attica is worse than we thought
- Princeton’s Jan T. Gross warns that Poland’s showing signs of turning decisively in a fascist direction